If you step away from your Pixel Slate, we recommend locking your screen for extra security.
Lock your screen
Use one of these options:
- Short-press Power .
- On a touchscreen: At the bottom right, select the time to open the status area Lock .
- On a keyboard: Press the Launcher key + L.
After a while, the screen will turn off to save power.
- Plugged in: The screen will turn off in 8 minutes. Your device will go to sleep in 30 minutes.
- Not plugged in: The screen will turn off in 6 minutes. Your device will go to sleep in 10 minutes.
You can also make your device go directly to sleep. When it wakes, the screen will be locked, unless disabled in Settings.
- Laptop mode: Close the device's lid.
- Tablet mode: Press the power button.
Unlock your screen faster with your fingerprint
Use Pixel Imprint™ to quickly and securely unlock Pixel Slate with the touch of a finger. After you've set up your fingerprint, tap your finger on your Pixel Slate's fingerprint sensor (located with the power button) until it unlocks, whether the device is asleep or awake. Learn how to set up your fingerprint.
Note: Pressing the fingerprint sensor too hard will power off your device.
Unlock your screen with a PIN
Before you lock your screen, you can create a PIN to sign in and unlock your screen. If you use a PIN, you'll still need to enter your Google Account password once every 24 hours.
Note: If you're on a device managed by your work or school, you can't add a PIN.
- At the bottom right, select the time to open the status area.
- Select Settings .
- In the "People" section, select Screen lock.
- Enter your password, then select Confirm.
- Select PIN or password.
- Select Set up PIN.
- Enter a PIN of six digits or more, then select Continue.
- Re-enter your PIN, then select Confirm.
Unlock your screen
To unlock your device, sign in with your Google Account password or enter your PIN.