Due to high volumes, you may experience long wait times for customer support. We greatly appreciate your patience.

/pixelphone/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Behind the scenes looks at the new Internet tile

We are excited to introduce a simpler and more intuitive connectivity experience for Pixel users. The changes are meant to address common pain points that users have with understanding and changing their network connections by promoting a more intuitive experience for users switching between their Internet providers and troubleshooting network connectivity issues that arise.

How can I turn on/off Wi-Fi and Mobile Data?
You can turn off both Wi-Fi and Mobile Data from the new Internet Panel (accessible from the new Internet tile in Quick Settings) by toggling the radio button next to the name of your carrier or the radio button next to “Wi-Fi”. 

Why are you making it harder to turn off Wi-Fi?
With this new design, you can quickly switch between Wi-Fi and Cellular connections by just selecting your cell network from the new Internet Panel. From our user studies, we found that the majority of users turn off Wi-Fi in order to force their phone to connect to cellular. This is usually done in response to a poor Wi-Fi connection and the lack of an alternative way to get the phone to explicitly connect to the user’s carrier. Users who turn off Wi-Fi will often forget to turn Wi-Fi back on again, resulting in possible excess mobile data usage. Our research showed that this has been a pain point for users, so we made the decision to address it with this release. With the changes we’re making, users who have Wi-Fi connection issues can simply switch over to using their carrier with two quick taps. In our user research studies, long-time Android users acknowledged that the change took some time to get used to, but once they did, they found the Panel to be a more intuitive and straightforward way for users to solve their Wi-Fi connectivity issues, while reducing user error and unintended consequences. 

Will this change affect the Wi-Fi and mobile data switching rules?
Not at all. When you choose to connect to your carrier even though Wi-Fi is available, your Pixel device will attempt to re-connect you to Wi-Fi after a certain amount of time. This is to ensure that you don’t incur excess mobile data usage as a result of having forgotten to switch back to using Wi-Fi. 

How do I connect to Wi-Fi networks when Airplane Mode is on?
When Airplane Mode is on, you can connect to Wi-Fi networks in one of two ways:
  • From Quick Settings, tap on the “Internet” tile to bring up the Internet Panel and then toggle Wi-Fi ON. Select the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to.
  • From Settings, go to “Network & Internet” and then tap on “Internet”. From there you can toggle “Wi-Fi” ON. Select the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to.

I have two SIMs - why is only one carrier shown in the Internet Panel?
The Internet Panel and the full Internet landing page under Settings only show your default Mobile data SIM carrier. Only one SIM can be the default Mobile data source at any given time. In a future release, we may consider allowing users to see and be able to switch between both SIM carriers for Mobile data from the Internet Panel and Settings. 

Can I access the new Internet Panel from the Lock Screen?
In our initial release with Android S, you would need to unlock your device in order to access the Internet Panel from the Lock Screen. However, in an upcoming quarterly Pixel Feature Drop, we plan to make the Internet Panel accessible from the Lock Screen which would give you the ability to turn off Wi-Fi and Mobile Data if needed. Switching between Wi-Fi providers will not be allowed for device security and privacy reasons. 

What if I want to turn off Wi-Fi scanning for location tracking purposes?
Users will continue to be able to turn on/off Wi-Fi scanning which is used to improve location-based features and services. Turning off Wi-Fi scanning does NOT turn off the Wi-Fi chip on the device.
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (156)
Relevant Answer
This is fantastic news!! While you're focusing on improving that functionality, please see about making the "Limited SIM Functionality" notification not persistent! Image attached.

This occurs when rocking two SIMs. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The Internet panel solves nothing, at least not the "problem" you are describing.  If you use the internet panel to switch from WiFi to Cellular Data, how does that make it more likely that the user will remember to switch back to WiFi.  You've made the experience much more unpleasant to switch between the two that it is probably more unlikely a user will manually switch back to WiFI.

Why does Google feel like it has to fix things that are not broken?  What used to be easy and intuitive is now difficult.   I hate the Internet panel.  Adding it to the lock screen will also not help anything.  Since when do users want to switch back and forth when their phone is locked?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'd like to see some hard numbers on who wants this change, or what you're user study really showed. It's fine if you think you're right, but you should respect us when we say we're right. That new internet thing is weird, and I say thing because it's not a toggle or quick setting - and thus shouldn't even be there! I've rarely been in the situation you're describing, and if I'm not aware enough to turn my Wi-Fi back on, then so be it.

Please, just stop forcing terrible changes that we don't want or need. Or at least give us the option to go back. While we're at it, the new quick settings don't need to be as big as they are now so only 4 fit. Did a different focus group tell you that they really struggled with looking at a row of too many settings so you changed it to 4? It really shouldn't be this hard.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Why we can't have both and leave it to the user to  decide. Why Google/Android trying to be IOS and wants to make decisions on behalf of user.

Don't you guys understand why most people prefer Android over IOS, let me answer for you because of customizations as you might be busy using iPhone.

Another one, In Android 12 design philosophy of material U what U stands for ? Users or Google.

Let me.break It down further, tomorrow if most of the users in your research sample likes to arrange icons in a certain arrangement so as per your profound insights it would be great to make it mandatory for everyone to use the same arrangement.

It solves nothing it's create unnecessary nesting , quick toggles are TOGGLES after all with only two states ON or OFF who is taking design decision there ?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Cami,

It's all good and well giving us updates on features and software, but will there ever be an update/acknowledgement from Google regarding the hardware issues. Most notably, the apparent faulty batch of Pixel 6 Pro devices where the screen will crack of it's own accord. Likely due to some manufacturing or material defect.

See here:

And here:

Google can't possibly see all these complaints as device owners who have dropped/impacted their phone and simply 'trying it on' to get a freebie. There's a serious issue here, and Google support will only resort, without proper investigation, to the "physical damage, not covered by warranty" line.

I am one of the owners of a faulty device. Never dropped or hit, with a screen crack from top left to bottom right after having left it on a flat surface. The customer support, if you can call it that, has been diabolical so far from a company who consider themselves to be one of the biggest and best tech companies in the world.

So far, despite all the complaints, there hasn't been any sort of message or acknowledgement from Google. No note of an ongoing investigation. Just incredibly shoddy customer support.

I am now embarrassed to own, or have owned, so many Google products in the past (now counting 10), and will never again be an advocate for Google or their products or services.

Any chance that the community can get some support/guidance on this so we're not all left in the lurch, or left having to pay for repairs for damages to faulty devices that we didn't cause.

'Thanks'

Stuart
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/pixelphone/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic