Due to high volumes, you may experience long wait times for customer support. We greatly appreciate your patience.

/pixelphone/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Battery drain after a Android 12 update in Pixel 5
Since I did the official update to Android 12 2 days ago the battery life is extremely short. My Pixel 5 has a high baseline consumption even over 10% per hour with the screen off and without use, which was not the case before the update. I have tried several times to restart the phone but nothing changes. I haven't installed any new apps or changed any other settings. The last way to extend the battery life is to activate the energy saving which obviously is not a definitive solution.
How is it possible?
Is there a solution to this huge problem?
Thank you
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (154)
Relevant Answer
Hi Pio Capezzone

Have you tried restarting the phone into Safe Mode where all 3rd-party apps are disabled? It would help to discover whether a non-A12 optimised app you have installed is causing this.

- Mike
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Well, first you see if things are ok there to test the theory.

Then you check the Battery Usage apps listing showing those apps that are causing your problem.

- Mike
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you Tickmc for your answer!
I rebooted in safe mode and it seems that the basal power consumption with the screen off is almost back to normal or at most only slightly increased. Consumption using it I can't know because obviously most of the apps are disabled and I can't use them. In any case, in the 2 days following the update I still observed the percentage use of the apps and in the lead there are Google Chrome with over 20% (with just over an hour of use, for the same use it usually had a much lower percentage) and WhatsApp with over 10%, which I only used to send some text messages, no videos and only in couple of images, so with an extremely higher consumption than normal and the third app is Opera Mini with 8%, which usually does not exceed 4-5. The strange thing is that I still used the smartphone very little, with less than 3 hours of screen on I found myself with 30% of battery and usually I reach abundantly 7-8 hours with much more use than these last 2 days . In addition to the idle consumption with the screen off, I have the impression that the apps I use most frequently consume proportionally more, as if suddenly the battery had lost performance or that the phone requires more power but the only event that happened was the update to Android 12
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
When you are looking at your battery usage you have to remember what is shown is a % of the battery that has been used, not a % of the total battery. So in your case Chrome used 20% and WhatsApp used 10% of the battery capacity that was used up, as the battery empties and more things start to impact on the overall use of the battery the stats all spread out.

FWIW Mine is slightly worse but nothing to worry about, it loses an extra couple of % over night.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I info don't have an answer for you, but I do feel your pain. My battery life went to hell after the update a few days ago. I used to have about 35 to 40 percent at the end of the day, and now I'm charging it by late afternoon and it's usually tanked again by bedtime. As I'm writing this, the phone has gone into extreme power savings mode and am down to 6 percent. Something is certainly amiss.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here. My battery drains like twice as fast as before, perhaps even faster. Started immediately after the upgrade. Restart didn't help. Settings are good. Battery usage monitor isn't any useful at all. That's really a major downgrade/regression to me. No new apps have been installed
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The problem is with the Android system intelligence service. There were lot of treads about this problem in Android 12 beta program. It seems that the problem is not fixed by Google.
This was my first pixel phone and if this is how Google tests its devices, it will be my last one...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Let's hope they come up with a solution soon.  My battery life was fantastic, at least up until the Android 12 update.  Now I'm plugging in twice a day to keep it going.

Is it possible to roll it back to Android 11?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same on Pixel 4a. Battery drains twice as fast after update
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue with my Pixel 5a. After upgrade to Android 12, my battery lasts about half as long as before. Battery Usage shows Pixel Launcher as using the most battery, by a lot (used 24 of last 24 hours, 22% of total app usage). With Android 11, I don't recall Launcher in the top ten power users. Hard reboot doesn't fix issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'll add my voice to the "Android 12 battery drain" topic -- and I'll add a couple wrinkles.  Firstly my experiences match what others said:  in regular boot mode (i.e., not safe mode) battery life has tanked, even with the screen dark and absolutely no usage, I can see drain exceeding 10% points per hour.  But the "third party apps" explanation might have some basis in truth because, after factory resetting the phone and resigning myself to accelerated battery drain with A12, I went ahead and installed VMware's "Intelligent Hub", which my company requires in order to access corporate services.  Adding the VMware product was like pouring gasoline on a fire because I *immediately* witnessed a very dramatic increase in battery drain rate.  I then did yet another factory reset, did NOT install Intelligent Hub, and the drain rate went back to the "new normal" of ~10% points per hour.  Oh...and the best "wrinkle" of all to this story -- my fingerprint scanner "Pixel Imprint" stopped working right after A12 installation completed and I can't get it working.  Seems too coincidental to believe this is a pure hardware issue with my phone given the very concurrent timing.  [Disclosure note: I have a Pixel 5 that started with factory installed Android 11. Phone has never been rooted or otherwise modified]
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've had massive battery drain issues immediately after my pixel 5 was updated to Android 12 (Thursday 21-oct-21). Previously lasted almost 2 days on one full charge. Day after the update it lasted about 6 hours - no changes in loaded apps or usage.
I also get issues with my phone struggling to keep connection. Keeps dropping mobile signal and internet connection, and also same with WiFi. Around this means I can consistently take or make calls or access the internet on my phone, so pretty useless.
I actually think this connection cycling is the cause of my battery issue. If I turn WiFi off the phone battery definitely lasts longer (still no stable mobile connection though!). As soon as I turn on WiFi I can actually feel the phone heat up instantly, particularly near the camera.
Looking at battery usage, 'Mobile Connection Standby' has been using about 40% battery over last 24 hours. Either way, whatever is causing this was down to Android 12 update and means my phone is only good as a pocket warmer.
Now 5 day later and keep checking for an android update, but nothing.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I experience the same issue. Usually my Pixel 5 lasts two days. I had the Android 12 beta on it, and the battery life was still two days. Just similar as it always was.

Since the upgrade to Android 12 final, the battery problems started. I now have just one day and a bit of battery life, with the same usage pattern as before. The phone will loose about 40 - 45% battery charge overnight, without it being used at all. I tried several reboots but that does not help. I did not install any new apps or configure settings.

I have attached a screenshot of the battery drain. You can see it started the night with about 50% charge and only 10% was left in the morning.

With the new Pixel 6, I hope Google will not forget about us Pixel 5 users. Their reputation in this area is not the best.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Pixel 4xl I am experiencing the same issue on Android 12. Changed battery to 91% before bed and dropped to 52% when I woke up. With Android 11 it would drop only a percentage or 2.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same terrible battery drain problem after installing Android 12 on my Pixel 3.

Would gladly go back to Android 11. Does anyone know how to downgrade?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Pixel 5 here.  Just updated to Android 12 yesterday 10.25.21.  Had close to 2 days of battery before update.  Changed absolutely nothing since updating.  My battery is draining much faster.  I have a screen on time of 50 minutes and I'm down to 59% battery.  Google play services are accounting for 46% of my battery usage as of right now with an uptime of 3hr 55min.  All my apps are showing as updated. The absolute best part of my phone before the update was my battery stability.  I haven't even had my phone for a year.  This is unacceptable and I'm just guessing that it's something we will all just have to live with.  Google doesn't exactly have a great track record of actually fixing issues like this in the past.  I'm definitely telling my wife not to update her Pixel 4a with the reports of it draining that batter too.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same thing happening to me ....alot of bug in android 12 update .....in pixel 5 5g mode gone no 5g mode in network selection. Also onpen we with vanished from default open setting
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I love my pixel 5 im so mad about this battery thing
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Pixel 5 user here. Same thing. Battery was lasting 30+ hours, now it's half that, maybe 16 to 18.

The Goog done screwed us. Battery life was the absolute must have, stand out feature for me on the 5.  Never had to worry about battery life, I could just grab it and go, be on the road or flying for 24 hours, no anxiety. 

This sucks.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Sam thing here, had 60% when I went to bed at 11pm woke up at 6am and now dead. Did Android 12 update only 3 days ago. This is nuts. I hope Google are aware of the issue and resolve
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey I have also just updated my Pixel 5 to the stable version of Android 12. I have noticed that my phone regularly goes above 37-38 degrees even with regular browsing (this NEVER happened on Android 11.
As a result the battery life is suffering because it's proved that battery tends to hold less charge at higher temperatures. 
But also the battery life in general is pretty bad now... Idle battey drain is very high.
I've tried booting into safe mode and it's not fixing the problem so I'm guessing android 12 has something to do with it.
I mean I was really excited for the update because they had said that the core CPU load would reduce by 22% (which would theoretically mean more battery life and less heat produced) but that's not the case. 
If any software personnel at google could see this it would be highly appreciated to issue a software patch to fix this (cuz a lot of other people are also facing the same issue).
I absolutely LOVED android 11 and I wish I could switch back, but I don't think there is a way to do it without factory resetting your phone. If there is please let me know.
Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Upgraded Pixel 3 to Android 12... all Google apps immediately started crashing (messenger, Gmail, chrome, Fi, etc).  Fi says it can't activate because the phone is not connected to the internet, even when it is on Wifi.

Battery drain is about 10% an hour, even when not in use... used to last over a day, now I basically constantly keep it plugged in.

UI updates are total garbage.  What is with the giant buttons and huge numbers on the lock screen?

This is bad for Google, bad for Android, bad for Pixel... Google said they'd pay for repairs, which involves sending my phone out for a week and (probably) erasing all of the data on it. lol.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/pixelphone/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic