Due to high volumes, you may experience long wait times for customer support. We greatly appreciate your patience.

/pixelphone/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Battery drain after a Android 12 update in Pixel 5
Since I did the official update to Android 12 2 days ago the battery life is extremely short. My Pixel 5 has a high baseline consumption even over 10% per hour with the screen off and without use, which was not the case before the update. I have tried several times to restart the phone but nothing changes. I haven't installed any new apps or changed any other settings. The last way to extend the battery life is to activate the energy saving which obviously is not a definitive solution.
How is it possible?
Is there a solution to this huge problem?
Thank you
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (154)
Relevant Answer
Hi Pio Capezzone

Have you tried restarting the phone into Safe Mode where all 3rd-party apps are disabled? It would help to discover whether a non-A12 optimised app you have installed is causing this.

- Mike
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Well, first you see if things are ok there to test the theory.

Then you check the Battery Usage apps listing showing those apps that are causing your problem.

- Mike
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you Tickmc for your answer!
I rebooted in safe mode and it seems that the basal power consumption with the screen off is almost back to normal or at most only slightly increased. Consumption using it I can't know because obviously most of the apps are disabled and I can't use them. In any case, in the 2 days following the update I still observed the percentage use of the apps and in the lead there are Google Chrome with over 20% (with just over an hour of use, for the same use it usually had a much lower percentage) and WhatsApp with over 10%, which I only used to send some text messages, no videos and only in couple of images, so with an extremely higher consumption than normal and the third app is Opera Mini with 8%, which usually does not exceed 4-5. The strange thing is that I still used the smartphone very little, with less than 3 hours of screen on I found myself with 30% of battery and usually I reach abundantly 7-8 hours with much more use than these last 2 days . In addition to the idle consumption with the screen off, I have the impression that the apps I use most frequently consume proportionally more, as if suddenly the battery had lost performance or that the phone requires more power but the only event that happened was the update to Android 12
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
When you are looking at your battery usage you have to remember what is shown is a % of the battery that has been used, not a % of the total battery. So in your case Chrome used 20% and WhatsApp used 10% of the battery capacity that was used up, as the battery empties and more things start to impact on the overall use of the battery the stats all spread out.

FWIW Mine is slightly worse but nothing to worry about, it loses an extra couple of % over night.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Upgraded Pixel 3 to Android 12... all Google apps immediately started crashing (messenger, Gmail, chrome, Fi, etc).  Fi says it can't activate because the phone is not connected to the internet, even when it is on Wifi.

Battery drain is about 10% an hour, even when not in use... used to last over a day, now I basically constantly keep it plugged in.

UI updates are total garbage.  What is with the giant buttons and huge numbers on the lock screen?

This is bad for Google, bad for Android, bad for Pixel... Google said they'd pay for repairs, which involves sending my phone out for a week and (probably) erasing all of the data on it. lol.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/pixelphone/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic