Fix "Unplug charger" or "Liquid or debris" message
- “Unplug charger”
- “Liquid or debris in USB port”
Step 1: Unplug charger & headphones
Important: Be careful. The charging cable could be very warm.
If your phone is charging:
- Unplug the power adapter from the wall.
- Let your phone sit for a few minutes to cool.
- Disconnect the charging cable from your phone.
If you’re using USB-C headphones, remove the headphones from the USB-C port.
Step 2: Check the USB-C port & cable
Look for moisture or debris inside the USB-C port and cable. Do not put anything into them.
- If the port or charging cable is wet, turn off your phone. Then set it on a flat surface to dry at room temperature.
- If the port or charging cable has debris inside, gently tap it against your hand, port down, to remove.
If the USB-C port looks clean & dry
If you got the “Unplug charger” message, turn off your phone. Then let it sit for a few minutes to cool before you turn it back on.
If you got the “Liquid or debris” message, wait a few minutes until you get the message “Okay to use USB port.”
If the USB-C port looks damaged
If the charging cable looks damaged
Stop using it and get a replacement cable from the Google Store.
If your phone is too hot to touch
Use a different phone, tablet, or computer to contact us.