You can connect your phone to a mobile network with an active nano SIM card or eSIM. Without one, you’ll see a 'No SIM card' message.
Important: Some of these steps only work on Android 11 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
Get a SIM card
All Pixel phones can use nano SIM cards. Some Pixel phones can also use eSIM.
If you buy a Pixel phone on the Google Store:
- In the US, you can pick no SIM card or a pre-inserted Verizon SIM card. If Verizon is your mobile operator, activate your SIM card on their site.
- In other countries, your phone doesn't come with a SIM card.
Use a nano-SIM card
- To get a nano-SIM card, contact your mobile service provider. If you're asked for your phone's IMEI number, find out where to find your IMEI number.
- You can move your current phone's nano-SIM card to your phone instead of getting a new one.
Some phones can use eSIM, depending on the phone and mobile operator. For details, check with your carrier.
- Pixel 4 and later: All phones work with eSIM.
- Pixel 3a: Phones bought with Verizon service or in Japan don't work with eSIM.
- Pixel 3: Phones bought with service from any US or Canadian operators other than Sprint and Google Fi don't work with eSIM. Phones bought in Australia, Taiwan and Japan also don't work with eSIM.
- Pixel 2: Only phones bought with Google Fi service work with eSIM.
- Pixel (2016): No phones work with eSIM.
Insert a SIM card
With your phone off:
- Into the small hole on the phone's left edge, insert the SIM ejection tool.
Tip: On Pixel 3 (2018), the SIM card slot is on the phone's bottom edge.
- Firmly but gently, push until the tray pops out.
- Remove the tray and put the nano SIM card in the tray.
- Gently, push the tray back into its slot.
You may need to restart your phone to get mobile service. To restart a phone that's on, press the power button for about three seconds. Then tap Restart .
Insert your SIM card (UK) | Pixel
Find your phone's identification numbers
When you speak with your operator, you may need to provide Pixel ID numbers, like the IMEI 1, IMEI 2 or EID number. Find out how to find your Pixel phone ID numbers.