You can connect your phone to a mobile network with an active nano SIM card or eSIM. Without one, you’ll see a “No SIM card” message. Learn how to insert your SIM card with our step-by-step tutorial.
Important: Some of these steps work only on Android 11 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
All Pixel phones can use nano SIM cards. Some Pixel phones can also use eSIM.
If you buy a Pixel phone on the Google Store:
- In the US, you can pick no SIM card or a pre-inserted Verizon SIM card. If Verizon is your mobile carrier, activate your SIM card on their site.
- In other countries, your phone doesn't come with a SIM card.
Use a nano SIM card
- To get a nano SIM card, contact your mobile service provider. If you're asked for your phone's IMEI number, learn where to find your IMEI number.
- You can move your current phone's nano SIM card to your phone instead of getting a new one.
Some phones can use eSIM, depending on the phone and mobile carrier. For details, check with your carrier.
- Pixel 4 and later: All phones work with eSIM.
- Pixel 3a: Phones bought with Verizon service or in Japan don't work with eSIM.
- Pixel 3: Phones bought with service from any US or Canadian carriers other than Sprint and Google Fi don't work with eSIM. Phones bought in Australia, Taiwan, and Japan also don't work with eSIM.
- Pixel 2: Only phones bought with Google Fi service work with eSIM.
- Pixel (2016): No phones work with eSIM.
With your phone off:
- Into the small hole on the phone's left edge, insert the SIM ejection tool.
Tip: On Pixel 3 (2018), the SIM card slot is on the phone's bottom edge.
- Firmly but gently push until the tray pops out.
- Remove the tray and put the nano SIM card in the tray.
- Gently push the tray back into its slot.
You may need to restart your phone to get mobile service. To restart a phone that's on, press the power button for about 3 seconds. Then tap Restart .
When you speak with your carrier, you may need to provide Pixel ID numbers like the IMEI 1, IMEI 2, or EID number. Learn how to find your Pixel phone ID numbers.