If your phone sometimes feels warm, you shouldn’t be too concerned. Your phone can get warm if you:
- Play videos, games, or other media.
- Transfer or restore backed-up data on your phone.
- Record high definition videos.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Tether your phone or use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Download or upload a lot of data over a mobile data or Wi-Fi connection.
- Set up your phone.
- Restore your phone from backup.
- Do any of the above while your phone charges.
How your phone protects itself
Your phone may start to limit some functions when it senses that it’s too hot. Your phone may:
- Slow down
- Slow charging
- Turn off your camera’s flash
- Turn off your camera
- Partially or fully turn off your mobile data or Wi-Fi, including 5G
To help prevent your phone getting too hot, keep it out of direct sunlight. If your phone’s temperature continues to rise, it could show a warning and turn off. The phone turns off to keep you and your phone safe. If your phone turns off, let it cool down and restart it.
If your phone continues to turn off, contact Pixel support.
Your phone might overheat because of issues that also cause battery drain. Learn how to limit your apps and save your battery.
Tip: To manage overheating issues that reoccur, learn how to fix excessive battery drain.
To keep your phone from getting too hot:
- Stop features or apps that make heavy use of your phone’s resources. You can restart them when your phone cools down. Your phone may overheat when you:
- Place video calls.
- Record with the Camera app.
- Play media, like stream shows over Wi-Fi or 5G, or play downloaded videos.
- Use navigation apps for extended periods of time.
- Use features or apps that use a lot of resources while you charge your phone.
- Keep your phone away from excessive heat, like inside a hot vehicle or outside in direct sunlight.
- Don’t keep your phone in enclosed or poorly ventilated areas.
- Reduce your phone's display brightness. Open your phone's Settings app. Then, tap Display Brightness level.
- Use only cases or covers made for your specific phone.
- If possible, use Wi-Fi instead of mobile data.