Use Android apps with accessibility features on your Pixelbook
Most Pixelbook accessibility features work with your Android apps. But your Android apps also have a few accessibility settings of their own.
Note: Currently, braille devices don't work with Android apps on Pixelbooks.
Turn accessibility settings on or off
For your Android apps, you can:
- Turn captions on or off
- Turn high contrast text on or off
- Change the length of the touch-and-hold delay (short, medium, long)
To change these settings:
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- In the "Google Play Store" section, select Manage your Android preferences.
- In the "System" section, select Accessibility.
- Change the settings you want.
Note: If you're using the Chromevox screen reader, your device will automatically switch to the Android screen reader when using the Google Assistant and other compatible Android apps. It'll switch back to Chromevox automatically too, so you don't need to do anything. For more information on the Chromevox screen reader, see Related articles.
Use a screen reader
To use a screen reader with your Android apps:
- Turn on the ChromeVox screen reader.
On a keyboard: Press Ctrl + Alt + z.
On a touchscreen: On the side of your device, press both ends of the volume button for 5 seconds.
- Open an Android app or the Google Play Store app.
- Your device will switch to the Android screen reader, called TalkBack. Learn how to use TalkBack.
For more information on the Chromevox screen reader, see Related articles.
When you leave the app, your device will switch back to ChromeVox.
Tip: Using your touchscreen, maximize the Android app window to fill your entire screen. This way, you won't be as likely to accidentally touch outside the app window and switch back to ChromeVox.
Move around within Android apps
On a keyboard
With TalkBack, you can move around your Android apps by using these keyboard shortcuts:
- To select, press Search + Space.
- To go forward, press Search + Right arrow.
- To go backward, press Search + Left arrow.
- To open the list of keyboard shortcuts, press Search + k.
On a touchscreen
All TalkBack gestures will also work in your Android apps.