Use your Pixelbook as a tablet
With its 360-degree hinges and vibrant touchscreen, your Pixelbook laptop transforms into a versatile tablet you can use in the office, on your couch, or just about anywhere.
Change from laptop to tablet mode
Pixelbook’s hinges make it easy to transform your device from a laptop into a tablet.
To turn into a tablet, simply flip the laptop lid back until it rests against the base. Your display will rotate accordingly. The keyboard is disabled in tablet mode, so don’t worry if you press the buttons when holding the tablet.
To use your tablet hands-free, flip the laptop lid partway back to tent mode. Then rest the device on a stable surface.
Use the touchscreen
Your Pixelbook touchscreen is activated in both tablet and laptop mode. Here are some actions you can take:
- Click: Tap where you want to click.
- Right-click: Touch and hold where you want to right-click.
- Scroll: Drag your finger up, down, right, or left.
- Go to a previous page on your browser: To go back, swipe your finger from left to right. To go forward, swipe from right to left.
- Zoom in or out: Touch and hold an area with 2 fingers.
- To zoom in, spread them apart.
- To zoom out, pinch them together.
- Open Launcher: Swipe up from the row of apps at the bottom of the screen.
- Show your row of apps (shelf): Swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Navigate through Chrome history: To go backward or forward in your browser history, swipe one finger from one side of a web page to the other.
- View multiple windows: In the bottom right corner of your screen, tap to see all of your open windows.
- Change orientation: With your Pixelbook in tablet mode, go to the status area in the bottom right of your screen (where your account picture appears) and choose “Portrait,” “Landscape,” or “Auto rotate.”
- Adjust volume: Press either side of the volume button on the side of your tablet to turn your speaker volume up or down. Or adjust the volume slider in the status area, located in the bottom right of your tablet (where your account picture appears).
- Power off: Open the status area in the bottom right of your tablet (where your account picture appears) and tap to turn your Pixelbook off.
Do more with the Pixelbook Pen
Fingertips are fine when using your touchscreen, but the Pixelbook Pen* lets you enjoy more of Pixelbook’s features. Here are a few things you can do with Pixelbook Pen:
- Learn more about what’s on-screen with your Google Assistant - Circle an area of your screen with the Pixelbook Pen while holding the Google Assistant button to know more about what’s there. Highlight text to find answers, identify an object or celebrity in a photo, or add a highlighted event to your calendar.
- Take notes - Use the Pixelbook Pen and the Google Keep app to turn your tablet into a notepad, without wasting any paper.
- Show your creative side - Draw, illustrate, animate. We’ve designed the Pixelbook Pen to respond to your hand motions in real-time so you stay connected to your creations. With its refined pressure and tilt sensitivity, you can change the weight or thickness of a line without changing a setting.**
- Annotate your photos for a personal touch - Use the Pixelbook Pen with the Google Keep or Infinite Painter apps to add a note or drawing to your favorite photos.
- Change modes for more flexibility - Quickly turn your Pixelbook Pen into a handy laser pointer or magnifying glass. Take a screenshot of all or part of your screen to share with colleagues. Switch between drawing tools like a marker, highlighter, or eraser.
* Pixelbook Pen is sold separately.
**Certain Pixelbook Pen features (like pressure sensitivity and tilt support) are designed for use with and require select editing applications. Lag was tested on pre-production Pixelbook and Pixelbook Pen units, using top rated Google and third party programs and apps. Actual results may vary.
If your touchscreen isn't working, try these steps. Test after each step to see if your touchscreen is working.
- Wipe off any dust or dirt on your touchscreen.
- Reset your Pixelbook hardware.
- Reset your Pixelbook to factory settings.
If these steps don't fix the problem, contact your Pixelbook support.
Ali is a Pixelbook expert and the author of this page. Leave her feedback below about this page.