Make a photo collage
You have total artistic control over your collage content and layout. Experiment with six different collage types in the hands-on collage creation screen. To create a picture collage, follow the instructions below:
- Select the photos you'd like to include in your collage.
- Click the Collage button in the Photo Tray or click the Create Photo Collage button in the folder or album header.
- On the collage creation page, use the Settings and Clips tabs to control the appearance and content of your collage:
Collage StyleYou can choose from six different styles of collage using the top drop-down menu on the Settings tab:
- Picture pile: This collage looks like a pile of scattered pictures. You can drag photos around the collage, bring a photo to the top or bottom of the pile, and adjust the scale and angle of each photo. Click an image in the collage and the wheel will appear on top of your selected image. Adjust the scale and angle of the photo by clicking and dragging the wheel button.
- Mosaic: Picasa automatically fits your photos into the page. Unlike the 'Grid' collage, the pictures are not aligned into neat rows and columns.
- Frame mosaic: You can create a mosaic of your selected images, all surrounding one prominent center image. You can change the center image by clicking your desired center image, and then clicking the Set as Frame Center button.
- Grid: All of your selected photos are arranged into regular rows and columns.
- Contact sheet: Your photos are arranged neatly as thumbnails.
- Multiple exposure: Your selected photos are superimposed over one another. You'll see the best results for this collage if you use fewer images.
SettingsYou can use various options on the Settings tab to alter the appearance of your collage. These options vary depending on the type of collage you choose.
- Grid spacing - Available for 'Mosaic', 'Grid', and 'Frame mosaic' collages. Use this slider to adjust the amount of border space between photos.
- Picture borders - Available for 'Picture pile' and 'contact sheet' collages. Add a white edge or polaroid edge to each photo.
- Background options - Choose a color or a photo as the background theme for your collage.
- Page format - Pick a size for your collage. Picasa will automatically adjust the appearance of your collage. To fit your collage for your computer desktop, select Current Display from the 'Page Format' drop-down menu.
- Orientation - Orient your design vertically or horizontally.
- Draw shadows - You can provide some depth to your collage by selecting the 'Draw Shadows' checkbox.
- Show captions - Available for the 'Picture pile' collage. Select the 'Show Captions' checktbox to add your photo captions on the collage.
Add more photosDuring the collage creation process, you can add more photos at any time on the Clips tab.
- Click the Clips tab on the left side of the collage creation page. The folder of photos you've been working with will be available under the Clips tab.
- Select the photos you'd like to add, and click the button to insert them in the collage.
- If you want to add photos from a different folder, click the Get More button to find additional photos in your Library.
- Select the photos from your Library.
- After you've finished, click Back to Collage in the Photo Tray. You should now see your additional images displayed on the Clips tab.
- Select the images you'd like to add, and use the button to add them to the collage. You can use the button to remove images from the Clips tab.
- Use the buttons above and below the collage to help select and arrange the photos included in the collage. To remove a photo from the collage, select the photo in question and click the Remove button above the collage.
- When you're satisfied with your work, click Create Collage. Alternatively, click the Desktop Background button to create the collage and set it automatically as your computer desktop image. Once you've created your collage, you can share it with friends by uploading to Picasa Web Albums, emailing, or printing it in high-resolution.
All completed collages in addition to drafts will be saved in the 'Collages' folder, located under My Pictures > Picasa (Windows) or Pictures > Picasa (Mac). In Picasa, your 'Collage' folder is located in the 'Projects' collection (flat-folder view) or in the Picasa folder (tree view).
Saving Drafts: If you're not finished creating a collage, click the Close button and you'll be prompted to save a draft of your work in the 'Collages' folder.
Editing a collage: You can re-edit a draft or a finished collage at any time. From your Picasa library, just double-click your selected collage, then click the Edit Collage button to access the collage creation page. You can then use the tools above to make any changes.