Transfer photos to a new account
Before you migrate your Picasa Web Albums account, note that this tool transfers your existing photos, videos, comments, likes, and followers to a different account. Once the transfer has completed, it can't be undone. If you'd like to continue, follow these steps:
- In Picasa Web Albums, click the gear icon and choose Photos settings.
- On the Privacy and Permissions tab, click Migrate my photos in the 'Migrate account' section.
- In the resulting dialog, enter the email address to which you'd like to transfer your photos. If this address isn't already a Google Account, we'll ask you to create one.
Note: You can't use your former Picasa Web Albums username as your new Google Account username. Also, the tool won't overwrite your photos even if your target account has existing photos and videos.
- Click Send email with transfer instructions.
- Check your email at your original address.
- Click the link in the email and follow the steps to complete the transfer.
The transfer happens on our servers so there's no download then re-upload required by you, but depending on how many photos and videos you have, this transfer may take up to 24 hours to complete. We'll send you an email when the transfer is finished.
Several important notes
Please read this carefully, it's not the usual yada yada. The account migration can't be undone, and the Picasa account you transfer your photos and videos to won't have the option to migrate to another Picasa account in the future.
- Existing links: Any existing links or embedded images from the old account will continue to work - they'll be redirected to the new location - after the move is complete.
- Google storage: If you've purchased Google storage for your old account, that storage remains with your old account. However, you'll also have the same amount of storage - for photos only - available in the new account. Learn more
- Blogger users: You can choose to keep your Blogger photos in this account or transfer them to the new one. If you transfer Blogger photos to the new account, be sure to add the new account as an author on your blog. Learn more
- Sync to Web: Albums that were previously 'synced' between Picasa and Picasa Web Albums will not automatically be synced in your new account. You will need to manually re-enable sync for the desired albums. Picasa will recognize previously synced albums and not create duplicates.
- Comments: Some comments on photos may be lost when the photos are transferred.
- Photo view count: Photo view count on a photo will be reset to zero when the photo is transferred.