Back up with Picasa Web Albums
Picasa Web Albums can be used to backup your original files under the following conditions:
- The original file is a JPG.
- The image can be no larger than 20MB and is restricted to 50 megapixels or less.
- The image doesn't have any unsaved edits.
- You upload the image at 'Original Size.'
In all other cases Picasa will create and upload a new copy of your image saved in the JPG format. Examples of when your original file would not be uploaded include:
- The original file is anything other than a JPG (TIF, PSD, any RAW format, etc).
- You have made edits such as I'm Feeling Lucky, Redeye, Crop, etc.
- You select to upload at any resolution other than 'Original Size.'
JPG is a lossy file format, meaning each time you save an image as a JPG some of the image information is irrevocably lost. This is perfectly fine when you're sharing online with friends or making normal-sized prints. If your goal is to preserve the original state of files that don't meet the above conditions for backing up to Picasa Web Albums, you should consider using Picasa to back up to an alternate drive or back up to a CD or DVD.