Picasa organises photos, and groups people into folders and albums. Things to bear in mind:
- Folders in Picasa are the same folders as the ones on your computer. Any changes made on Picasa will affect the folders on your computer.
- Albums only exist in Picasa, not on your computer. When you delete or move photos from an album, it doesn't affect the folders on your computer.
- Picasa groups similar faces together to create albums.
Organise photos into folders and albumsCreate an album
You can combine photos from different folders into a single album. To create an album:
- Select the photos to be included in the album and put them in the photo tray.
- In the photo tray, click Add selected items to an album.
- Select "New album".
- Name the album and click OK.
To move your photos:
- Select the photos that you want to move.
- Click a photo and drag it to a new folder or album.
If you have a large collection of photos, drag the photos to the folder list on the left. Drop them in when the desired folder or album is highlighted.
You can organise and tag your photos according to the people in them with Picasa's face-grouping technology. To tag people in your photos:
- Add names in bulk or individually.
- In bulk: In the left-hand menu, under "People", click Unnamed people. Type a name under a photo and it will be added to all photos with that face.
- To see the faces that appear in a particular photo, open a photo and click People .
- Picasa will create an album for each face tagged in "People".
To delete a tag, select a photo and click Remove.
If you have photos in several different folders, here are a few ways of managing them:
- Click Tools > Folder manager. Remove folders that may have duplicates from your library.
- Right-click (Control-click on a Mac) duplicate photos and select Hide.
- Find duplicates and delete them from your computer.
- Rebuild your photo database.
To exclude duplicates while importing, select "Exclude duplicates" at the bottom of the import page. A red X on a photo means that the photo is already in Picasa.
To automatically exclude duplicates:
- Click Tools > Options (Windows) or Picasa > Preferences (Mac).
- Select General.
- Select Detect duplicates while importing.
- Click OK.