Organize photos in folders and albums
The easiest way to move or rearrange photos in Picasa is to drag and drop them at their desired location. Before you get started, it's important to understand the implications of the move: Moving a photo to a different folder in Picasa also moves the photo on your hard drive. Moving a photo to an album, on the other hand, has no impact on the photo's actual file location on your hard drive.
Follow these steps:
- Select the photos you'd like to move. You can only drag and drop photos from one folder or album at a time.
- Click on a selected photo and hold the mouse key down while you drag your photos to their new location. Once your cursor is at the desired location, release the mouse key to drop them in the new folder or album.
If you have a large collection of photos, it may be easier to drag them to the folder list on the left-hand side of your library and drop them once the desired folder or album is highlighted.
You can also learn how to easily move photos to a new folder or combine photos from multiple folders into a new album.
Mac users: Photos in the 'iPhoto Library' collection are read-only in Picasa. This has a few important implications when moving photos in Picasa:
- You can't move photos from one iPhoto Library folder to another.
- You can't move photos into the iPhoto Library collection.
- When you attempt to move a photo out of the 'iPhoto Library' collection, Picasa will instead ask your permission to make a new copy.
Learn more about how Picasa works with the iPhoto Library.