Backup photos to a CD or DVD
Picasa offers several ways for you to back up your photos, edits, and album organizations. You can back them up to CD/DVD, to an alternative drive, or upload them at full resolution to Picasa Web Albums where you have 1 GB of free storage.
Follow the steps below to create a CD or DVD backup:
- Insert the blank disc in your computer and wait for Picasa to recognize it.
- Select Tools > Backup Pictures.
- Create a new backup set or use one you've already created. A backup set records the type of backup (CD/DVD vs. alternative drive) and also keeps a record of which files have been backed up.
- New Set: Click the New Set button to create a new backup set of your folders and albums. If this is your first time backing up through Picasa, choose this option. Make sure to specify the following details:
- Enter a name for your backup set.
- In the 'Backup Type' section, select 'Disk-to-disk backup.' Click the Choose button, locate your drive, and click OK.
- Specify the types of files to include in the backup.
- Click the Create button.
- Existing Set: Select your previously made backup set from the 'Backup Set' drop-down box. This allow you to update those sets with any changes that you've made since the last backup. Click the Edit Set button to change the set name or the types of files to back up.
This backup set will allow you to install your photos as you've arranged them onto a new computer. When you insert this backup into a new computer, you'll be prompted to restore your photos. You can choose to have the photos copied back to their original locations or you can select a new location. After running the restore from your backup CD, you'll need to reinstall Picasa. Please download the latest version of Picasa at http://picasa.google.com