/photos/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Is there an easy way to delete duplicate photos 3 Recommended Answers 146 Replies 3120 Upvotes
1 Update
$0 Updates
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
1 Relevant Answer
$0 Relevant Answers
 I'm trying to delete duplicate photos without taking them out one by one
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (146)
Relevant Answer
Just an example: 

The pictures are fully identical (so it really are visual duplicates), but the picture at right was re-uploaded with a different filename. However that did not cause a duplicate, but a very slight difference in the text on top and the assigment to a different primary album. 

A very sick situation is when you already pictures uploaded via Picasa in the past and these were downsized to 1600px. But last year Picasa finally was murdered by Google and they adviced to use Backup & Sync instead and that thing started to re-upload many old pictures (often non-edited) in their original pixelsize and then you really are in great troubles. Just because you believed Google instead of simply going-on with uploading a new album manually within a few minutes. 

So every situation requires a specific aproach to get rid of the look-alikes and that is why this can't be done automatically. But in all cases in will be a terrible job.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
hi all. i have a similar, if not the same situation. after the switch from Google Photos to Backup & Sync, i have thousands of duplicate photos in the cloud, and the Info, in fact,  is all the same, as well. so the visual and the metadata is the same on evey duplicate that i checked.
i started deleting duplicates from Google Photos on the web, but then my Backup & Sync began to complain about not being able to delete photos on my C: drive. when i looked on my C: drive at what it was trying to delete, it was the unique picture on my C: drive, which i obviously, do not want deleted, ever.
so this duplicate situation seems to me to be more prevalent that might be thought. i am considering wiping out my entire Google Photos collection and starting over. is there not a better way ?

thanks all, for any help that you can offer to any of us who see this problem. thanks, again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Richard
Ugly of course, but probably you already had tons of pictures at Google uploaded in lower resolution like usual in Picasa while B&S uploaded them in full resolution again. 

You can swith-off the question about deleting by selecting "Don't remove everywhere" in the app like shown below: 

Furtheron: if my guessings are true, the old Picasa-pictures (maybe uploaded since last year) are in albums primarily, so if you start deleting your library, your albums will get empty.  

So we need a bit more dsicussion about you situation.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Dear Google, its not rocket science.  

Use all your billions of dollars, resources, and claims you are leaders in AI and invent a system to detect duplicate photos.  I mean honestly at the very core I have dozens of photos with names like DSC100, DSC100 (1), and all are the same file size, I could write you a tool if you don't have the time, inclination or know how to do a simple file name and file size compare to find duplicates.

However, you can scan the ENTIRE web for content and track my every bit of information and about to unleash a new powerful gaming cloud service, but you can't identify two similar photos using machine learning?  I means its even not that hard, if you subtract blend two photos using some kind of image algorithm (ask Adobe, they are experts) and then use a little AI to identify how many pixels were not wiped out, that should give you a big clue as to whether two photos are the same or at least very similar (you know the dozen group shot photos everyone take before everyone is smiling at the same time).  I don't care if its instantaneous, even if it takes hours or days to discover suspected duplicate photos and then let me pick ONE freaken photo to keep in my entire collection, that would be amazing, and clean up the mess largely caused when you broke the connection between Google Drive and Photos and I ended up with thousands of duplicate photos.

And I mean Picasa had this, which you acquired, and then destroyed.

is there some conspiracy that prevents you from finding duplicates?  Just pay some guy the royalties to acquire the patent and give us a break.  Hell I would even pay a small monthly fee just to have this feature enabled.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have just had duplicates appear for all the photos on my android phone but the names all have (1) at the end. I believe this has occurred after I allowed my phone to transfer photos to sd card when it had annouced memory was low on space. No way to delete is not cool. Time to stop using google photos until there is a remedy for this? Needs to enable ability to select duplicates, or select by a name filter, which would be easy to do with some windows apps. Automation...bah the robots will kill us all one day.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Alan
Apart from any remedy: you story is strange because GP does not add (1) to a filename if the same picture is re-uploaded: it just refuses that picture unless there are (tiny) other changes like I have shown before. 
And if files are moved to another location, they don't an (1) behind their filenames unless the same files are there already and you could not prevent their doubling. 
So I would suggest to look at https://photos.google.com in the browser of your laptop while being logged-in with the same account as used in the app under the small lines, just to check if these duplicates are there also. Just because the app also shows what is locally.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is insane! It imports several times the same photo, then import a lot of photos you have never been interested on, even indicating the date (as today or yesterday) some old stuff that I even don't remember more. AI??? It seems it doesn't exist. Computers are so stupid!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So is the only solution to go thru and delete every duplicate one by one?  These duplicates are eating up my storage.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Rita
Perhaps your duplicates are no duplicates and do not eat anything. 
For instance: pictures in albums are just references to the originals - no copies. 
Or edited versions saved as a copy: but these copies take no storage. 
Depending on your set-up, you also may have the same pictures on Drive taking-up no storage at all. 

Duplicates are look-alikes next to each other in the library of Google Photos and then they can take storage indeed and then you need to decide one-by-one which one can be deleted without doing harm in shared albums. Like explained before. 
And you must try analyse what wrong set-up on your side can have caused these look-alikes, because without any inside information from your side, we can't give any better advice. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Can i search: *(1).jpg or *(2).jpg or *(n).jpg

Example:
IMG-20190621-WA0000(1).jpg ?

And delete all files duplicated?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My boyfriend and I are having the same exact issue with the duplicating of photos! They are the same exact photo, exact! Sometimes there are 5-10 duplicates of the same photo. I literally sat and went through and deleted every extra picture, what seemed like for hours, sent duplicates to trash and emptied said trash. I woke up the very next morning to everything I had emptied in trash, was back in my Google photos and even pictures I had trashed a long time ago. On top of that...all 2,000+ photos each were its own album. So One pic in one album. So my question is...isn't there  something Google can do to fix this issue or help the situation. After looking at the dates of previous posts, this is definitely a Google Photo issue if everyone is posting about the same problem, within the same time period, wouldn't you think, Al? Also Could it be that working on doing away with the Google Drive sync deal, that there was a glitch of some sort? PLEASE, Please Help!! It is getting to be so annoying.I can't find answers anywhere. Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
haha .. Google still views itself as a technology company, they do not seem to care at all about making their products usable for people.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I just discovered today that I have duplicate photos as well and I have no idea why. I have thousands of photos, so there is no way I can go in and manually delete them! This is annoying!!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Mine occurred after Google moved over the photos from Drive. Apparently, I was backing up there as well and they have moved all of those photos over to "Photo" as they are no longer backing up photos in Drive. Hopefully they come out with a "delete duplicates" feature to make this easier.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Randy
I am not aware that Google moved over any pictures from Drive to Photos. 
If these pictures were in the Google Photos folder on Drive, they will stay there but not will be not filled anymore with new pictures. 
And it are no duplicates taking storage, but just dead links. 

Unless you are talking about something else I am not aware off.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I can take a new picture on my iPhone, then go open Google Photos and see that it is syncing 2 copies of that same picture!  Very frustrating!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have 5 of each photo, so don't tell me Google Photos prevents duplicates from happening.
Fix this BS, it shouldn't be that hard!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
How did you manage that? 
Burst shoots perhaps with tiny differences in the metadata due to holding the camerabutton pressed a bit too long - just guessing of course???
Don't blame Google before understanding what you did wrong.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also noticed some duplicates whilst browsing my photo library. These duplicates are indeed identical and have the exact same info, however, they have different resolutions of 2048x1536 and 1024x768. Maybe this feedback can help in identifying what is happening elsewhere.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
"Don't blame Google before understanding what you did wrong." What arrogance! Duplicates popping up seemingly daily when I/we have done NOTHING to cause them, like the many users who have written begging for help. As was mentioned before, this is a Google Photos problem, and Google is obligated to provide a fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I use a duplicate-finder to minimize my local storage. I assume the "high quality" bar that gets passed to go into the new Photos and not take up Drive space calculates some kind of hash that reasonably assures _their_ storage is minimized even if you point the metadata (albums, etc.) every which way?

This would inherently stop duplicates based on the internal (hash, etc.) ID, correct?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I find it best to no longer use google photos. I cannot stand half hearted attempts at providing solutions to the public with the only intention of harvesting faces - something which is banned in the EU.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Chris Westeron,I feel your frustration but could not have expressed it as succinctly.I have nothing but duplicate after duplicate going back years and now most of these google backed /synced images are nothing more than ghosts. I go to view image :" could not open image as could not locate original file",Precisely because Google changed their platform unaligned themselves with Adobe RAW picassa back to adobe etc. Then they changed their computer based platforms vista .windows 10..then  intnernet wifi..firefox..safari.mozilla. 3g 4g dial up..broadband etc ALL EQUALS forced duplicates and file name change by adding that 1 to file name. 1dsc001. Or dsc001.1 or my fave dsc001.1.2! Its embedded.So dont use is not a file based system for end user.its a tracker algorithm for marketing purposes.dont be fooled.bottom line. If you could keep it from duplicating how on google earth are they to attach thier cookies and follow/ file our every move to the second for the last 10years including any images you took compiled on a real world map showing your every location time stamped and if connected thru facebook it shows people you were with. You texted/called .stores. you were in how long etc.but the duplicate image is just fake news
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Google: Please ID & delete my duplicate photos!
I often get lower resolution duplicates when I send & receive  photos with apps from which gPhotos is harvesting, also when my DSLR camera uploads images to my phone...
Unfortunately, I don't think google is as focused on it's user's experience,as much as it is on our information, metrics and data.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i am still looking for a clue a to the 100's if not 1000s of duplicates that i am seeing in my GP.  i find that the filename, size, location,  etc. shown in Info is all the same... except for one thing. the timestamp. the difference on the timestamps is that one of the duplicates shows the time + "GMT-4:00", the other only shows the time.  could this be a problem for GP not recognizing duplicate files? if so, what caused this? are any others seeing the same symptom?

thanks, all.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Richard
What did you have changed yourself that these files got re-uploaded? 

PS: the indication of the timezone in the infopanels is quite recent and related to the location. If your pictures have no gps-info of their own, the location is your computer. But if their is no indication, what is shown under the pencil then: 

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
There are apps built specifically to fish out and find duplicates or slightly similar photos; so Google should be able to do this! Very frustrating
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also, am experiencing similar issues with duplicated photos! It doesn’t really matter where the blame lays, something needs to fix the issue! Perhaps if google added an option for, “This photo already exists in the app” then indicates where the photo is located and any other info attached to the original? Then ask if you want to copy again, edit copy, or anything else that can happen to a photo?
This issue is using up precious storage on my iPhone which is my only place to store and access my photos! This creates the situation where I have to chronically offload &  reinstall apps to keep my phone from kicking me off of every other app! SOMETHING NEEDS TO HAPPEN!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Diana Marie Berne
"This issue is using up precious storage on my iPhone"
I thought that the duplicates were on Google Photos, not on your phone. 

'my iPhone is my only place to store and access my photos!'
That's not very wise if you do not want to loose them. Many things can happen: phone broken, lost or stolen, account hacked, photos accidentally deleted, etc.  To be really safe you must copy them to at least one other platform. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Follow the below steps to eliminate duplicate photos on a smartphone.
Step 1: Open the Google Photos from your phone.
Step 2: Hit Photos from the bottom left of your screen.
Step 3: Now, you need to click on the menu icon which is available at the upper-right corner of your screen.
Step 4: Hit Select Photos.
Step 5: Now, individually you need to select all the photos you are interested in eliminating. You can tap on each photo at the circle available.
Step 6: Choose Trash and select Delete to confirm your decision.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Poor time consuming way
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I figured it out. In the search bar type in duplicate photos. Check through them to see (it will have multiples). You and click on one of each but I noticed it keeps the original and deletes the extra copies. If not go check in the trash file and restore only one of the pics. Good luck everyone.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
"I figured it out. In the search bar type in duplicate photos."
That would be great, but it does not seem to work for me. 
Can you give more info, and maybe add a screenshot ? (via "Attach file") ?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is why I basically use Google photos as a in case of disaster backup (I do real backups also) and not my primary photo viewer. At least 1/2 of my photos are from scans of old photos. Every time I make a slight change in my local photos it is uploaded as a new photo.  Over time, I have uploaded duplicates by mistake or corrected the date and time, so in the end I have a LOT of duplicates and no way to easily delete them.  All of my Picasa photos were uploaded at a different resolution, so I have duplicates of them. And I have a large number of photos that I am not sure why they were uploaded a second time. I really miss Picasa, it was a much better product.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
"Every time I make a slight change in my local photos it is uploaded as a new photo."
I think that it is wiser to upload manually. I always drag & drop directly in an album, which makes it easy to retrieve them.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
HAS ANYBODY AT GOOGLE SOLVED THE PROBLEM YET?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

Guess not.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Google photoes sucks.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yup but is there anything better
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes. Use one drive.  You won't have that issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I added backup and sync to my new computer, and google photos duplicated all of my photos. Over 20,000 of them, and the filenames are the same! Having a way to remove duplicates sure would be helpful!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Teri Rocco
What a mess. I am glad I never used Backup & Sync. 
To remove the duplicates: in the timeline it is almost impossible, but they should be on top in "Recently added" https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_.  Deleting them will still not be very easy, but doable when you following the instructions for selecting them here.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Good for you. How about a fix for our problem now?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Gonçalo Silva
Because we are also users, no Google employees, we have no other solution than 
  • Tell you how to delete duplicates as good as you can. 
  • Recommend to be careful. Syncing a complete collection of 20.000 photos is risky. Google claims that duplicates will not upload again, but the slightest change (except filename and location) causes a new upload. My solution and recommendation is NOT to use Backup & Sync. 
  • Another option is to have ALL photos in albums so that you do not need to see the duplicates in the timeline. Then you should upload or convert everything to the free "High Quality".
Sorry we cannot make it better.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Then I have done what I can.  Thanks folks.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So I have been putting them in albums.  But they are still all under the photos section as well where All photos are.  How do I delete them without losing the album copy?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Betsy Rambo
There are no photos in albums, only pointers to photos in the Photos (or Archive) section. Thus deleting photos from the Photos section also deletes them from all albums. Please tell us what you are trying to achieve.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Duplicates, triplets of same photo.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My photos in Google Photos keep multiplying themselves. I often find six or eight of the same photo! It wastes my storage space and I end up having to pay for more space.  I do not copy these photos. They just seem to multiply. I can end up with MANY of the exact ssme photo.  In searching for an answer to my problem I have seen that many other people have the same problem.  I need to find out how to eliminate the duplicates and how to prevent this from continuing to happen.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Cynthia
Without sitting next to you for hours to be able to analyse your technical situation, it is impossible to give any solution. But most likely you have got a virus or you are using a viral app which continuously is modifying the metadata of your files and thereby causing re-uploads towards Google. And if your backup setting is on original quality (instead of high quality), you will use more and more storage at Google indeed (please check at one.google.com/storage for your account). 
It is not clear however if you see these dups on photos.google.com also, or just in the app only. 

Hard to give any good advice, but I would suggest to use the Photos-app without account (hit your profile to find that setting), because then you see what is on your phone only. 
If there are no dups then, ask for help to connect your phone to your computer to be able to copy its pictures to your pc-disc. Else you will loose all of them. 

Thereafter your phone should be factory resetted to get cleaned-up totally and then a antivirus-app like AVG should be installed to remove any hidden virusses and to prevent new virusses in future. Thereafter the Google Photos app can be reconnected to your account for backupping freshly shooted pictures. 
And on photos.google.com ist is quite hopeless to remove all dups (if any) one-by-one, but you can build albums in which you don't see these dups at all - that probably is the best solution if you want to go on with Google Photos. 

Be aware: no Google here at all - just expert-volonteers.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
  1. Download Launch for Duplicate Photo Remover software.
  2. Select Folder file(s) or add folder containing files.
  3. Check Preview of all Duplicate Photo.
  4. Delete Old Photo or New Photo
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Try a duplicate photo finder software. I suggest "Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro" it is a very nice tool.
You can find some other tools like this here
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
With Easy VivanTool Duplicate Remover™ you can Scan & Find your PC (WINDOWS) for duplicate JPG, GIF, JPEG, PNG and other popular image formats. Styles: Download Free Trial, Find Duplicate Photos, Find Similar Photos, Free Drive Space.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/photos/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic