/photos/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
how do I sort albums by album name
I need to sort my albums by name
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (42)
Volunteer contributor since long
Relevant Answer
Not possible, but type an "a" in the searchbox etc. 

Please use the feedback option in the main menu to ask for a alphabetic sorting option - you are not the only one.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
WOW! That helps. Thank you!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My first reaction was that the "a" in search worked but it only shows a fraction of the albums. Thank you for the suggestion though! Hope someone comes up with a solution. Maybe Google???
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Of course - about 10 albums which names start with an "a". But there also is a aa - ab etc. etc. 
Maybe browser search via Ctrl+F is a better option. 
However: album-sorting already is a problem that started in 2014 on Google+ Photos and all complaints and requests on these forums never have resulted in any A-Z sorting option until now. 
Why not? 
Just because Google is a shortsighted "cross ass". 
Like they still don't have a A-Z sorting within an album if sorting on dates produces chaos.  

Nevertheless: goodnight from here / Rinus
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you, Rinus! Your answers have made Google Photos MUCH more usable.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Good to hear. 

But in general Jan's approach will apply to most users, because people tend to create a new album for every happening and maybe one year-album for "everyday pictures". 
So you have to find-out what the best approach is in your situation - assuming that you want to go on with Google because of free storage. As far as I can oversee, you only can get alphabetic sorting on services like Google Drive and then you need to start paying when you need more storage. 

PS for Jan: can you ask the "community manager" to improve the forum lay-out because a thread like this becomes a chaos if the op marks every answer as being helpful (and then we also got separate mails of these markings).
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Is there any way to arrange albums automatically by date or title (alphabetically) on the album home page? I've tried dragging albums to rearrange them in the same way one can do with photographs, but no luck. I've also tried labelling each album with a date (e.g. 18/10/06) in the hope that they'd sorted automatically, but they haven't.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Lee Cahill
Albums are sorted by date of the most recent photo in the album. 
When you change that date to a more recent one the album may get higher in the list. 
If you want a specific album to stay on top, just change one date to a date in the future.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Rather that sort by name, maybe an option to drag and drop albums in the required order would be a better solution.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Good idea but when I try it, it just goes to download it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have no problem searching for an album. My problem is that I have created over 200 albums. If I now have 5 new different pictures and I want to add them to 5 different old albums, I have to first remember if I shared it or not, and then scroll through 200 albums? Not cool!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
There was a sort option for albums in Google Photos a long time ago, but at some point Google decided to remove it. No idea why they would remove such a nice feature. There is probably a method (known only to the person who designed it) to the current sorting algorithm, but it appears to be random. The combination of Picasa and Google Photos was a billion times better than Google Photos standalone. I read several articles about why they were getting rid of Picasa, but they were nonsensical in my opinion. The capabilities of Google Photos are crap compared to the capabilities of Picasa.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
When will the Photos developers pull their heads out and add Sort Alphabetically? It has been an issue for over 3 years. Also, when you add to ?which album, there is only a small box in some random order, no ability to search or sort by name. Also HOW ABOUT A MOVE to album; currently I have to 'add' to album, then archive to get it out of the 'pile'. I don't trust Google AT ALL: no actual access to support with any accountability, randomly remove products, and no responsiveness to issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The name of my albums starts with a date.  example: 2012-05-01     Even albums that starts with a number are not in a logical order.    Very strange.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Since alphabetical sorting is not possible, I try an alternative method. Google albums seem to be sorted by the EXIF date attribute of the photos they contain. One way that works for me, is naming my album titles first by Y-M-D date, and making sure that the EXIF data of their content photos agree with the date of each album. The EXIF data of some photos rotated or retouched long time after their original date may have to be changed with some application. The search (which also brings up album title results) is a useful tool, but I prefer the page showing my albums sorted in a meaningful way.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Seems like a lot of work but I'm willing to try it. This is the only thing I've read that sounds plausible. What does EXIF stand for and how do I locate the EXIF data? I don't see it in image file properties?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Its rather hard to comprehend why Google is unable to understand the importance of being able to move albums around, rather than having to search for them? In some use cases, the albums are not intended to be organized chronologically but rather in specific groupings of relevance, so it is possible for photos in each album to span across many years. So each time new photos are added into their corresponding albums, the albums would be ordered differently as mentioned by some of the replies above. That brings absolute chaos and it becomes extremely hard to find the required albums, thereby reducing the usability of Google Photos. I really do hope Google listen and give users what they want, instead of trying to dictate how users must go about using their products.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Being able to organize albums in folders would be so helpful!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
No, it's not allowed. Google Photos is designed for people who want to see their photos in random order only. Flash off (yeah, I'm old). I really wish Picasa would come back. Google Photos is a joke by comparison. Imagine if Google Docs presented your folders in random order. Not having a way to sort hundreds of folders is indefensible.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is a major flaw with Google photos.  It boggles the mind they wouldn't include this, especially if they want to grow the product.  Terrible UX.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Still hoping for some action from google so albums can be sorted at the moment it’s vert random, please help.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
  • Some keep telling that albums are sorted randomly, which is not correct: they are sorted by date of the most recent photo in the album.

• The easiest way to find albums is by typing any word of the title (not necessarily the first one), and a second word when there are more than 10 results (you only get 10 suggestions).

• Finally, on a computer you can also use the "Find" function (Ctrl+F), but for old albums you may have to scroll down first.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Another key feature missing... explanation : get used to it. Thanks google, flickr it is. Moving on.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Pretty sad when a company like Google is not able to do the most basic functions of sort by name.  Everything gets screwed up if you edit a picture and the fact that you would have to go picture by picture to edit a date, not to mention that you are forced to do a search rather than just being able to scroll through your albums in order.  I save mine by year and then by date in the name of the folder.  Doesn't seem like that should be a hard option to add.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have just done it but you might not like it. The Albums are sorted by date so the latest picture taken (not added) on the information of any pictures in a album. You can even use future dates. Say we have an album named AAA, ABB, ACC. So if you wanted to reorder those in reverse then lets say (ACC=2020/12/05)  (ABB=2019/07/19)  (AAA= 2018/03/15). It works, the albums reorder themselves but still trying to get the albums in correct order, so this is a start and hope it helps
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Julius Wright
"Everything gets screwed up if you edit a picture"
What does editing screw up ? I think that only changing date/time of one or more photos:
  • Changes the position of a photo in the timeline and possibly in an album, 
  • And the position of an album in some cases: 
    • albums are sorted in https://photos.google.com/albums are sorted by date of the most recent photo in the album
    • To move an album upwards you can change the date of one single photo to a more recent one
    • Moving an album downwards requires changing the date/time of more (or all) photos in an album
"you would have to go picture by picture to edit a date"
  • Not correct. You can select multiple photos and change date/time in batch
"You are forced to do a search rather than just being able to scroll through your albums in order.  I save mine by year and then by date in the name of the folder."
If you have albums containing photos from a certain date (or month or year), they should be automatically in the correct order since sorted by date of the lost recent photo in the album.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
All I can say is fix the problem and give us the ability to sort albums alphabetically and/or by date, then the "Google Experts" do not have to keep providing explanations about why it is deficient! Come on Google you have had this complaint for years and still not provided this basic functionality!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Any updates to sorting or alphabetizing GOOGLE ALBUMS in GOOGLE PHOTOS?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The announcement is for Android only. Google Photos still can't sort Albums. It's pretty amazing to realize that Picasa and Google Photos had an Album sort function many years ago. If you have hundreds of folders sorted by year-month (YYYY-MM), Google Photos is almost unusable. Sorting by the date embedded in the first photo of the album is also useless if you have lots of scanned images. My album of photos from 1891 shows up before an album labeled 2007 because I scanned the 1891 photos after 2007. I wish they would bring back Picasa and the sync functionality that existed years ago. I would gladly pay for a subscription. I think others would too. Picasa was an excellent program. It also had excellent editing capabilities for a casual user. Google Photos editing is terrible. Try cropping a photo for 8x10 printing. That ratio is not one of the very few they support.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Richard Robison
"The announcement is for Android only."
Correct. But likely (never sure) to also come on other platforms.

"Picasa and Google Photos had an Album sort function many years ago."
Sure, but nothing amazes me with the new Photos team. I bet that none of them ever used Picasa or even organized a photo collection. Can you imagine that we cannot even sort photos by name in an album? 

"If you have hundreds of folders sorted by year-month (YYYY-MM), Google Photos is almost unusable."
Correct, unless the album title shows some more info like YYYY-MM ITALY. Typing ITAL... in the search bar will find the album. 

"Sorting by the date of the most recent photo in the album is also useless if you have lots of scanned images. My album of photos from 1891 shows up before an album labeled 2007"
Correct, unless you changed date/time (in batch) to a date in 1891. You can do that (for example with Picasa) before you upload (recommended) or also in Google Photos:
  • Select all photos in the album
  • Click 3-dots > Edit date & time
  • Select "Set one date & time"
"I wish they would bring back Picasa"
I still use the last version of Picasa. See this link.

"Picasa was an excellent program. It also had excellent editing capabilities for a casual user. Google Photos editing is terrible. Try cropping a photo for 8x10 printing."
That is partially correct. Picasa hase features that Photos does not have (or only very basic like creating a collage), but Photos is better for fine tuning light and shadow (Picasa can only make light parts lighter and shadows darker) and the "Pop" option in Photos can have amazing effect. I use the best of both.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
"A server-side update for some users has added the ability to sort how albums are arranged. The default method is “Most recent photo,” but you can now group by “Last modified” or “Album title.”"

Jesus, about damn time.  Google continues to prove how inept they are in product development.  I'm surprised they didn't just kill Google photos instead of adding this.  That seems to be all they're good for these days.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
FINALLY G Photos has done something other than wander down the hall to the in house starbucks. Rather IRONIC since the parent company is 'alphabet', you would think they would have enough COMMON SENSE to understand that the world SORTS by the alphabet...who would have thought. The second there is an alternative I am SO history.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Christiane Furtado
To get an album correctly sorted in the list of albums you can also change dates in Google Photos. 
  • Select the photos for which you want to change the date
  • Click 3-dots > edit date & time
  • Select "Shift" or "Set one date & time"
  • etc
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/photos/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic