/photos/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
I am trying to upload PNG images to Google Photos (not using Backup), but it isn't working.
I have uploaded several jpg images just fine, but it keeps saying it can't upload my png images.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (21)
Relevant Answer
Hello Ann,

Thanks for posting in the Google Photos Help Forum.

Please confirm if you're having the same issue on a Google Photos app (if possible). 

Meanwhile, also try giving the below steps a try once again in a sequence to help resolve the issue:

Let me know how it goes.

Best,
Amanda
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I too have been having this problem. Any PNG generated by Photoshop Elements (versions 2012 through 2018) fails to upload. I've tried > 16MP, < 4 MP,  > 20MByte, < 4MByte,  Chrome, Edge, Windows 10, Windows 7, two different computers, two different Google accounts, tried the web-app drag-and-drop, tried the web-app upload, tried backup-and-sync, tried 'high quality' and 'original', tried many different Adobe PE generated PNG file settings, but it always fails. It looks like it's going to work... with a little icon of the image... but at the end of the upload I just get the generic and very unhelpful 'Can't upload item' message. Backup-and-sync gives the error message, but then (unexpectedly) puts the PNGs into my Google drive allowance; but I can't preview them within Google Drive or see them within Google Photos (even though the drive-to-photos connection is enabled).

These same PNG files load flawlessly into Flickr and Facebook, preview no problem with Windows photo viewer and every other graphics app I own. Only Google Photos fails to handle them (even though it can generate a little icon view of each PNG during the doomed upload process!).

I then discovered that if I take one of the PNGs into another app (happened to be JRiver media center), and save it back out to another PNG file (without making any edits), that the new version will correctly load into Google Photos.

My workflow is related to conversion of lots of slides... shot using camera raw, then loaded/corrected/cropped/edited within Photoshop, then saved as PNG files to allow further touch-up edits later if necessary without compromising quality. I really don't want to have to start generating whole sets of additional temporary PNG or JPG output files just for Google Photos.

I'd be interested to know if other people can upload Adobe Photoshop PNGs of about 14MPixels.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Whatever the problem was has now been resolved. I can once again upload any PNG without difficulty. Presumably the trouble was at Google Photo's server, as I haven't changed anything
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Because ur hacking like a little bitch
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey Author,

Thanks for keeping me posted.

I'm glad your issue is resolved.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Amanda
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having similar issue uploading .PNG photos to Google Drive from a Mac using Backup and Sync. When I sync my Google Photos to my Google Drive, none of the PNG's appear. This does not happen when syncing PNG's from iPhone. I am uploading nearly 5TB of photos, including hundreds of PNG files. Any thoughts?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same experience; Google Photos won't upload .psd files. I've tried dragging them and uploading them through the file selector and neither works.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Ann Feeny
"Google Photos won't upload .psd files."
.psd files are not in the list of supported formats: 
File types that can be backed up: Photos: .jpg, .png, .webp and some RAW files.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm have the same issue as originally described by User 9471~. I'm running a MacBook Air with OS 10.14.1 (the latest) -- I see there are some other Mac users here, perhaps it's the mac backup/sync software.

In the mean time, I've looked through the forum and the best recommendation is to use the web uploader. Made a smart folder with all the .PNG and dropped it into Google Photos web. I sent ~50 photos through and saw no compression in the uploaded files. Annoying, but it's a start.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Really sucks.  I tried to download a png and now photos shuts down Everytime I go into app and change to albums. It says it's stopped.  

I've clear d cache and data and uninstalled updates.  Still shutting down. How do I fix?
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/photos/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic