/photos/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
-
5/4/18
Why are my videos uploading in low quality despite selecting them to upload in original quality? 1 Recommended Answer 48 Replies 361 Upvotes
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
Last edited 8/25/18
I saved 2 videos from my phone to a shared google album. On the original device, they are playing in original quality. On all other devices, including my desktop, one is playing in original quality and one is playing in 360p despite all settings being on "original." The suggestions I've found in previous posts are not working. Thank you!
Details
All Replies (48)
8/6/18
How long should we be expected to wait for the high resolution versions to be available?  I recorded a 3 minute 4K video yesterday, and it is only showing as available at 360p.  It was uploaded yesterday.  My settings are to upload original quality photos and videos.  This concerns me greatly as I rely on Google Photos to backup my life events, and discovering something like this causes me pause for concern if I have made the right choice with this app.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
8/6/18
Shane, 

Since 4K video files are significantly larger than 1080p files, and you've uploaded that file at original quality, the amount of time it might take for Google's video processing to complete could be quite a while. The settings of the camera will also have an impact on processing time. Settings like frames per second (FPS), bitrate, etc. will all play a part. 

For example, 1080p footage recorded at 30 frames per second should come out to approximately 125-150mb file size. But, a 4K video that was also recorded at 30 FPS could be closer to 500mb. However, some cameras record at higher frame rates when in 4K mode (60 FPS), so those files would be about double the size. 

Regardless, the main thing is you've uploaded that file at original quality, meaning Google must process it exactly as it is without compression. Considering the size of the file and the various settings that must be retained, alongside the millions of uploads from other users, you're going to need to be patient for that to complete. Unfortunately, I can't give you an exact time for when you can expect it to be ready. Talking with others here, I've heard that lengthy 4K uploads can take days or even weeks to finish processing, again depending on all the variables. 

My suggestion is that you just remain patient and do not discard the original video file. You could also perform a series of experiments to get a better feel for processing times. Upload a 10-second 4K video, a 30-second one, and a 60-second one, then make a note of exactly how long it was between upload and completion of processing. If you do that test, I'd also really appreciate it if you could post back here with the dates & times you uploaded the files and the dates & times processing was finished. That would be very helpful insight for other users who upload in 4K original quality. 

Regards,
~ Greg
Last edited 8/6/18
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
8/6/18
Sangrah singh
Last edited 8/6/18
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
This reply is no longer available.
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/photos/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Marked as Recommended Answer
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic