Find missing photos & videos
When you turn backup on, your photos will be stored in photos.google.com.
Some photos can look like they disappeared because you’re in a different account.
- On your computer, open photos.google.com.
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- At the top right, click the profile picture.
- Check that you’re signed in to the account that you backed up photos to.
If you suddenly lost your photos, they might have a different date. If a photo is added from a device with different date and time settings, the timestamp may be wrong. Learn how to change timestamps on photos.
- On your computer, open photos.google.com/search/_tra_. Check your recent photos.
- If it’s not there, search for the photo using the right dates or keywords. At the top, type what you want to find, like “dogs”, “New York City”, or someone’s name (if you’ve labeled your photos).
- If your search came up empty, try other keywords or search again in 3—5 days. It can take time for photos to be searchable.
Try other ways to find your photos
If your photos and videos are still missing from the Google Photos app, each situation below is listed in the order of how likely it may be the cause.
Back up from your computer
If you uploaded the photo using Google Drive, you’ll need to turn on Google Drive in Google Photos.
- Go to photos.google.com/settings.
- Turn on Google Drive.
You can also download and install Backup and sync.
Back up from your phone
- On your device, make sure you’re signed in the right account.
- At the top, you’ll see your backup status.
If backup is on
- It might still be backing up. If you see “Waiting to back up” or a number on your phone, some photos haven’t been backed up yet.
- It might have been skipped. Make sure the file sizes of your photos or videos can be backed up. Learn more about file sizes.
If backup is off
If you deleted a photo from your device, Google Photos might not have backed it up yet. If so, you might not be able to recover it.Make sure your photos and videos have been backed up before deleting a photo from your device. Learn how to turn on back up.
It might be in your device folders. You can only see your device folders on your phone.
- On your device, open the Google Photos app .
- At the bottom, tap Albums.
- Under "Photos on device", check your device folders.
- It might still be in trash. You may still be able to get it back. Learn how to restore a deleted photo.
- It might have been permanently deleted. If the photo has been in trash for more than 60 days, the photo might be gone.
- It may have been deleted from another app. If you use another photo gallery, and deleted photos there, it may have been deleted before Google Photos was able to back it up.
Check that you’re using the right dates or keywords to search for a lost photo or video. Sometimes, when a photo is scanned or downloaded from a device with the wrong date and time settings, the timestamp may be different. Learn how to change timestamps on photos.
To find a recently added photo or video:
- On your computer, go to https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_.
- Browse your recently added items to find your missing photo or video.
If your item isn't in Recently Added, you can search for a person, place, or thing in the photo:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Photos app .
- At the top, type what you want to find, for example: “dogs”, “New York City”, or someone you’ve labeled.
If your search is coming up empty, try:
- Search with a different keyword.
- Search again in 3—5 days. It can take awhile for photos to be searchable.