Back up photos & videos
Save your device's photos and videos to your Google Photos library. This can include photos you take with your device's camera and photos saved on your phone.
What is back up & sync?
- A backup service: Your device's photos and videos will save to your Google Photos library, including ones you capture in the future.
- Privately stored: Photos and videos backed up from your device are private unless you decide to share them.
- Syncing: Changes you make to photos and videos, like deleting or editing, will be reflected across all of your synced devices.
Turn back up & sync on or off
- Open the Google Photos app on your mobile device .
- At the top left, tap Menu .
- Select Settings > Back up & sync.
- At the top, switch it on or off.
Things to keep in mind about this setting:
- Changing backup settings will affect all apps that use Back up & sync, such as Google Drive.
- If you have Back up & sync on, deleting the Google Photos app from your device will not turn it off. To turn off Back up & sync, follow the instructions above.
Optional: Check if your photos are backed up
- Open the Google Photos app .
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap Photos .
- At the top, you'll see if your photos are backed up, or if it's still waiting to back up.
Frequently asked questionsHow much does it cost?
Whether there is a cost depends on your settings. You can choose between 2 storage sizes to back up your photos and videos:
- High quality: Unlimited free storage for photos and videos that might be reduced in size or resolution. Learn more
- Original: Counts against your Google Account's 15 GB of free storage for photos and videos that are stored exactly as you captured them.
Sync means that you only have to make changes to photos and videos once. Changes you make to your photos, like editing and deleting, will happen on every device that syncs to your Google Photos library. This includes:
- Any phone or tablet that has the Google Photos app and backs up & syncs to the same Google Account.
- Any computer that signs in to photos.google.com with the same Google Account.