Back up photos & videos
Save your device's photos and videos to your Google Photos library. This can include photos that you've taken with your device's camera and photos saved on your phone.
What is back up & sync?
- A backup service: Your device's photos and videos will be saved to your Google Photos library, including ones that you capture in the future.
- Privately stored: Photos and videos backed up from your device are private unless you decide to share them.
- Syncing: Changes that you make to photos and videos, like deleting or editing, will be reflected across all your synced devices.
Turn Back up & sync on or off
- Open the Google Photos app on your mobile device .
- At the top left, touch the Menu icon .
- Select Settings > Back up & sync.
- At the top, switch it on or off.
Things to bear in mind about this setting:
- Changing backup settings will affect all apps that use Back up & sync, such as Google Drive.
- If you have Back up & sync on, deleting the Google Photos app from your device will not turn it off. To turn off Back up & sync, follow the instructions above.
Optional: Check if your photos are backed up
- Open the Google Photos app .
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Tap Photos .
- At the top, you'll see if your photos are backed up or if they're still waiting to back up.
Frequently asked questionsHow much does it cost?
Whether there's a cost depends on your settings. You can choose between 2 storage sizes for backing up your photos and videos:
- High quality: Unlimited free storage for photos and videos that might be reduced in size or resolution. Learn more
- Original: Counts against your Google account's 15 GB of free storage for photos and videos that are stored exactly as you captured them.
Sync means that you only have to make changes to photos and videos once. Changes that you make to your photos, such as editing and deleting, will happen on every device that syncs to your Google Photos library. This includes:
- Any phone or tablet that has the Google Photos app and backs up and syncs to the same Google account.
- Any computer that signs in to photos.google.com with the same Google account.