Back up photos & videos
Save photos from your device, camera, or storage card to your Google Photos library.
Before you get started
- Good internet connection.
- File sizes that can be backed up. Your files won’t be backed up if they are:
- Photos larger than 100 MB or 150MP
- Videos larger than 10 GB.
- Items smaller than 256 x 256.
- File types that can be backed up.
- Photos: .jpg, .png, .webp and some RAW files.
- Live photos can be backed up if you use the Google Photos app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Videos: .mpg, .mod, .mmv, .tod, .wmv, .asf, .avi, .divx, .mov, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m2t, .m2ts, .mts, and .mkv files.
Note: If you try to back up a file type not listed here, it may not work with Google Photos.
EOS: 1Ds Mark II, 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Dx, 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 6D, 7D, 7D Mark II, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 100D (Kiss X7, Rebel SL1), 350D (Kiss Digital N, Digital Rebel XT), 400D (Kiss Digital X, Digital Rebel XTi), 450D (Kiss X2, Rebel XSi), 500D (Kiss X3, Rebel T1i), 550D (Kiss X4, Rebel T2i), 600D (Kiss X5, Rebel T3i), 650D (Kiss X6i, Rebel T4i), 700D (Kiss X7i, Rebel T5i), 750D (Kiss X8i, Rebel T6i), 1000D (Kiss F, Rebel XS), 1100D (Kiss X50, Rebel T3), RebelT6 760D, Rebel T6 8000D, 1200D, M
Powershot: G1X, G7X, G12, G16, S100
1AW1, 1J1, 1J2, 1J3, 1J4, 1S1, 1S2, 1V1, 1V2, 1V3, D3, D3X, D4, D4S, D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D200, D300, D300s, D600, D610, D700, D750, D800, D800E, D810, D3000, D3100, D3200, D3300, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D5500, D7000, D7100, D7200, Df
Coolpix: A, P7800
E-M1, E-M5, E-M10, E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-P5, E-PL3, E-PL5, E-PL7, OM-D E-M5 Mark II
CM1, FZ300, G70, GF1, GF3, GF5, GF7, GH3, GH4, GM1, GM5, GX1, GX8, LX5, LX7, LX100
A7, A7R, A7S, A7 Mark II, A55, A58, A65, A77, A77 Mark II, A99, A700, A3000, A5000, A5100, A6000, QX1, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, RX1, RX1R, RX10, RX10 Mark II, RX100, RX100 Mark II, RX100 Mark III, RX100 Mark IV
All .dng files
There are 2 ways to back up your phone, camera, or storage card from your computer:
- Install Backup and Sync.
- Upload photos from your browser.
Set up the Backup and Sync desktop app
- On your computer, download and install Backup and Sync.
- Sign in to the Google Account that you use for Google Photos.
- Select to back up only photos or videos, or all files.
- Select any folders you want to back up.
- Under “Photo & video upload size,” select your upload size.
- Click Start.
- If you delete a photo or video from your computer, it will remain in Google Photos.
- If you delete a photo or video from Google Photos, it will not be deleted from Google Drive or your computer.
If you have trouble installing Backup and Sync, you may already have it installed for Google Drive.
To turn on Backup and Sync for Google Photos:
- On your computer, open Backup and Sync .
- Click More Preferences.
- Turn on Upload newly added photos and videos to Google Photos.
If you had the Photos desktop uploader: After you have Backup and Sync installed, you can replace the Photos desktop uploader by uninstalling it.
Upload items to Google Photos from your browser
- On your computer, open photos.google.com.
- At the top right, click Upload Computer.
- Find and select your photos.
- Click Open.
You can also drag photos from your computer to the album to upload them to Google Photos. If you drag a photo to a specific album, the photo will be uploaded to that album.