Back up photos & videos
There are 2 ways to back up your phone, camera, or storage card from your computer:
- Install Backup and sync.
- Upload photos from your browser.
Set up the Backup and Sync desktop app
- On your computer, download and install Backup and Sync.
- Sign in to the Google Account that you use for Google Photos.
- Select to back up only photos or videos, or all files.
- Select any folders you want to back up.
- Under “Photo & video upload size,” select your upload size. Learn more about upload sizes.
- Click Start.
If you already have Backup and sync for Drive
If you have trouble installing Backup & Sync, you may already have it installed for Google Drive. Learn more about Backup & Sync for Drive.
Turn on Backup & Sync for Google Photos:
- On your computer, open Backup and Sync .
- Click More Preferences.
- Check Upload newly added photos and videos to Google Photos.
If you had the Photos desktop uploader
- Good internet connection.
- File sizes that can be backed up: Your files won’t be backed up if they are:
- Photos larger than 75 MB or 100MP
- Videos larger than 10 GB.
- Items smaller than 256 x 256.
- File types that can be backed up:
- Photos: .jpg, .png, .webp and some RAW files.
- Live photos can be backed up if you use the Google Photos app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Videos: .mpg, .mod, .mmv, .tod, .wmv, .asf, .avi, .divx, .mov, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m2t, .m2ts, .mts, and .mkv files.
EOS: 1Ds Mark II, 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Dx, 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 6D, 7D, 7D Mark II, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 100D (Kiss X7, Rebel SL1), 350D (Kiss Digital N, Digital Rebel XT), 400D (Kiss Digital X, Digital Rebel XTi), 450D (Kiss X2, Rebel XSi), 500D (Kiss X3, Rebel T1i), 550D (Kiss X4, Rebel T2i), 600D (Kiss X5, Rebel T3i), 650D (Kiss X6i, Rebel T4i), 700D (Kiss X7i, Rebel T5i), 750D (Kiss X8i, Rebel T6i), 1000D (Kiss F, Rebel XS), 1100D (Kiss X50, Rebel T3), RebelT6 760D, Rebel T6 8000D, 1200D, M
Powershot: G1X, G7X, G12, G16, S100
1AW1, 1J1, 1J2, 1J3, 1J4, 1S1, 1S2, 1V1, 1V2, 1V3, D3, D3X, D4, D4S, D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D200, D300, D300s, D600, D610, D700, D750, D800, D800E, D810, D3000, D3100, D3200, D3300, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D5500, D7000, D7100, D7200, Df
Coolpix: A, P7800
E-M1, E-M5, E-M10, E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-P5, E-PL3, E-PL5, E-PL7, OM-D E-M5 Mark II
CM1, FZ300, G70, GF1, GF3, GF5, GF7, GH3, GH4, GM1, GM5, GX1, GX8, LX5, LX7, LX100
A7, A7R, A7S, A7 Mark II, A55, A58, A65, A77, A77 Mark II, A99, A700, A3000, A5000, A5100, A6000, QX1, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, RX1, RX1R, RX10, RX10 Mark II, RX100, RX100 Mark II, RX100 Mark III, RX100 Mark IV
All .dng files
What happens when you delete a photo with Backup and Sync
If you delete a photo or video from Google Photos, it’ll also be deleted from Google Drive. If you delete from Google Drive, it’ll also be deleted from Google Photos.
When you install, your setting will be set to “Don’t remove items everywhere,” but you can change it. Learn to change how your photos are deleted.
Remove items everywhere
- If you delete a photo or video from your computer, it’ll be removed from Google Photos and Google Drive.
- If you delete a photo in Google Photos or Google Drive, it’ll be deleted from your computer.
Don’t remove items everywhere
- If you delete a photo or video from Google Drive or Google Photos, it won’t be deleted from your computer.
- If you delete a photo or video from your computer, it won’t be deleted from Google Drive or Google Photos.
Ask before removing items
When you delete a photo or video from Google Photos, Google Drive or computer, it will ask how you want to delete it.
Note: It may take some time for your photos and videos to be deleted everywhere.
Select your type of computer.
- On your computer, open the Backup and Sync menu.
- Click More .
- Select Quit Backup and sync.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Drag Backup and Sync to the trash (on your Dock).
- Right-click the trash and select Empty Trash.
- On your computer, click Start Control Panel Uninstall a Program.
- Right-click Backup and Sync Uninstall.
Upload photos to Google Photos from your browser
- On your computer, open photos.google.com.
- At the top right, click Upload.
- Find and select your photos.
- Click Open.
You can also drag photos from your computer to the album to upload them to Google Photos. If you drag a photo to a specific album, the photo will be uploaded to that album.