Back up photos from your computer
Back up photos and videos from your Windows or Mac computer and any time you connect a phone, camera, or storage card using the Google Photos Backup desktop uploader.
Setting it up
When you set up Google Photos Backup on your computer, you can choose to upload photos and videos from a phone, camera, or storage card.
After prompting you the first time, every time you connect that phone, camera, or storage card to your computer, the photos and videos on it will back up automatically (if you set it to do so).
Viewing your photos
Your photos and videos will be backed up to your Google Photos library and are private unless you choose to share them.
Frequently asked questionsWhich kinds of files can I back up?
Photo: .jpg, .webp
Video: .mpg, .mod, .mmv, .tod, .wmv, .asf, .avi, .divx, .mov, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m2t, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv
You can back up camera RAW files from these models:
All .cr2 files, including those from:
EOS: 1Ds Mark II, 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Dx, 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 6D, 7D, 7D Mark II, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 100D (Kiss X7, Rebel SL1), 350D (Kiss Digital N, Digital Rebel XT), 400D (Kiss Digital X, Digital Rebel XTi), 450D (Kiss X2, Rebel XSi), 500D (Kiss X3, Rebel T1i), 550D (Kiss X4, Rebel T2i), 600D (Kiss X5, Rebel T3i), 650D (Kiss X6i, Rebel T4i), 700D (Kiss X7i, Rebel T5i), 750D (Kiss X8i, Rebel T6i), 1000D (Kiss F, Rebel XS), 1100D (Kiss X50, Rebel T3), 1200D, M
Powershot: G1X, G7X, G12, G16, S100
All .nef files, including those from:
1AW1, 1J1, 1J2, 1J3, 1J4, 1S1, 1S2, 1V1, 1V2, 1V3, D3, D3X, D4, D4S, D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D200, D300, D300s, D600, D610, D700, D750, D800, D800E, D810, D3000, D3100, D3200, D3300, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D5500, D7000, D7100, D7200, Df
Coolpix: A, P7800
All .orf files, including those from:
E-M1, E-M5, E-M10, E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-P5, E-PL3, E-PL5, E-PL7
CM1, FZ300, G70, GF1, GF3, GF5, GF7, GH3, GH4, GM1, GM5, GX1, GX8, LX5, LX7, LX100
A7, A7R, A7S, A7 Mark II, A55, A58, A65, A77, A77 Mark II, A99, A700, A3000, A5000, A5100, A6000, QX1, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, RX1, RX1R, RX10, RX10 Mark II, RX100, RX100 Mark II, RX100 Mark III, RX100 Mark IV
All .dng files
- Quit the Google Photos Backup application by opening the Google Photos Backup menu and selecting Quit.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Drag Google Photos Backup to the trash (on your Dock).
- You can purge your trash by right-clicking the trash and selecting Empty Trash.
- Click the Start button.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Right click Google Photos Backup > Uninstall.
Yes. Install Android File Transfer to set up Google Photos Backup between an Android device and a Mac.
If you created a Google Photos folder in your My Drive folder, you might be taking up unnecessary space on your computer if you use these features together:
- Google Drive sync for your Mac or PC
- Google Photos Backup
To help prevent this, exclude the Google Photos folder from your syncing preferences in Google Drive for your Mac or PC:
- Using your computer, click the Google Drive icon .
- On a Mac, the icon is usually in the menu bar at the top right of your desktop screen.
- On a PC, the icon is usually in the taskbar at the bottom right of your desktop screen.
- In the top right, click the menu .
- Select Preferences.
- Select Only these folders.
- Select which folders you'd like to sync, excluding the Google Photos folder.
- Click Apply changes.
Andrea is a Google Photos expert and wrote this page. Help her improve it by leaving feedback below.