Back up photos from your computer
Back up photos and videos from your Windows or Mac computer and any time you connect a phone, camera, or storage card.
Setting it up
- Download the desktop uploader.
- After you install it, you can set it to automatically back up photos and videos from a phone, camera, or storage card that's connected to your computer.
See your photos
Keep in mind that your photos and videos are private unless you choose to share them.
Phone or tablet
Frequently asked questions
If a photo or video didn't back up, it might be because:
- Item size: Photos larger than 75MB, videos larger than 2GB, and items smaller than 256 x 256 can't be backed up.
- Slow network connection: Your computer might have a slow or no network connection.
- Unsupported file type: See which file types can be backed up.
You can back up .jpg and .webp files.
Allow RAW or PNG files to be backed up
- Open the Google Photos Backup menu.
- Click Preferences.
- Check the box next to "Upload RAW files" or "Upload PNG files."
You can back up camera RAW files from these models:
EOS: 1Ds Mark II, 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Dx, 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 6D, 7D, 7D Mark II, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 100D (Kiss X7, Rebel SL1), 350D (Kiss Digital N, Digital Rebel XT), 400D (Kiss Digital X, Digital Rebel XTi), 450D (Kiss X2, Rebel XSi), 500D (Kiss X3, Rebel T1i), 550D (Kiss X4, Rebel T2i), 600D (Kiss X5, Rebel T3i), 650D (Kiss X6i, Rebel T4i), 700D (Kiss X7i, Rebel T5i), 750D (Kiss X8i, Rebel T6i), 1000D (Kiss F, Rebel XS), 1100D (Kiss X50, Rebel T3), RebelT6 760D, Rebel T6 8000D, 1200D, M
Powershot: G1X, G7X, G12, G16, S100
1AW1, 1J1, 1J2, 1J3, 1J4, 1S1, 1S2, 1V1, 1V2, 1V3, D3, D3X, D4, D4S, D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D200, D300, D300s, D600, D610, D700, D750, D800, D800E, D810, D3000, D3100, D3200, D3300, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D5500, D7000, D7100, D7200, Df
Coolpix: A, P7800
E-M1, E-M5, E-M10, E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-P5, E-PL3, E-PL5, E-PL7
CM1, FZ300, G70, GF1, GF3, GF5, GF7, GH3, GH4, GM1, GM5, GX1, GX8, LX5, LX7, LX100
A7, A7R, A7S, A7 Mark II, A55, A58, A65, A77, A77 Mark II, A99, A700, A3000, A5000, A5100, A6000, QX1, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, RX1, RX1R, RX10, RX10 Mark II, RX100, RX100 Mark II, RX100 Mark III, RX100 Mark IV
All .dng files
You can back up .mpg, .mod, .mmv, .tod, .wmv, .asf, .avi, .divx, .mov, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m2t, .m2ts, .mts, and .mkv files.
- Quit the Google Photos Backup application by opening the Google Photos Backup menu and selecting Quit.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Drag Google Photos Backup to the trash (on your Dock).
- You can purge your trash by right-clicking the trash and selecting Empty Trash.
- Click the Start button.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Right click Google Photos Backup > Uninstall.
Yes. Install Android File Transfer to set up Google Photos Backup between an Android device and a Mac.
If you created a Google Photos folder in your My Drive folder, you might be taking up unnecessary space on your computer if you use these features together:
- Google Drive sync for your Mac or PC
- Google Photos Backup
To help prevent this, exclude the Google Photos folder from your syncing preferences in Google Drive for your Mac or PC:
- Using your computer, click the Google Drive icon .
- On a Mac, the icon is usually in the menu bar at the top right of your desktop screen.
- On a PC, the icon is usually in the taskbar at the bottom right of your desktop screen.
- In the top right, click the menu .
- Select Preferences.
- Select Only these folders.
- Select which folders you'd like to sync, excluding the Google Photos folder.
- Click Apply changes.