Some Android phones have the Phone app pre-installed. You may be able to download the Phone app if your phone doesn't come with it.
What you need to download the Phone app
To download the Phone app, you need a compatible phone that runs Android 9 or higher. If your phone isn't compatible, you won't find the Install button in the Play Store.
Download the Phone app
- On your Android device, open Google Play .
- At the top, search for
- Download the Phone app .
Set the Phone app as default
Important: If you don't set the Phone app as your default, you can't use it. If you use a work profile, you can set the Phone app as your default only in your personal profile.
- Open the Phone app .
- When asked to change your default phone app, tap Set as default.
- Select Phone Set as default.
Tip: If you don't want the Phone app to be your default any more, you can uninstall the Phone app or change the default in your device's settings.
Turn call bubbles on or off
With call bubbles, you can easily navigate between your current call and other apps.
Important: If the Phone app was pre-installed on your device, call bubbles are on by default. If you downloaded the Phone app, call bubbles are off by default.
- Press and hold the Phone app .
- Tap Info .
- Tap Advanced Display over other apps.
- Turn Allow display over other apps on or off.
About the Phone app
When you use the Phone app, you can:
- Use caller ID and spam protection to get information about callers or businesses not in your contacts, or warnings about potential spam callers.
- Start in the Phone app and switch to a video call with Meet. The other person has to accept the video call.
- To switch mid-call, tap Video .
- Avoid scams and fraud with verified calls.
If you download the Phone app, you won't have access to some features like call screen, call recording and in-app voicemail.
Emergency calls will be routed through the pre-installed phone app, even if you place the call through Google's Phone app.