Chrome Web Store merchants can issue a refund at any time after you charge an order. You're responsible for setting your own policies for refunds. Customers contact you directly with refund questions.
Note: If you're a Play developer, you must refund orders through the Play developer Console. Learn how to refund orders in the Play developer console.
To issue a refund on an order in your payments profile, follow these steps:
- Sign in to the payments profile.
- Click Customer orders.
- Click the line of any order that you want to refund.
- In the panel that opens, click Refund, or scroll down and click View full page to find the customer's order history and more details.
- On the next screen, click Refund again.
- Select the appropriate refund reason.
- Add a message to the customer, if needed. These comments will appear in the customer's payments profile.
Note: To protect their privacy and security, we don't provide merchants with customer emails or other contact info, so adding comments is the only way to communicate with customers unless they contact you directly.
- To finish refunding your customer, click Refund order.
Find refund details
After a refund is issued to a customer, the refund will be documented in your payments profile. To find refunds:
- On the next screen, find and click View transactions.
- Click a line item to find details about the specific order. You can change the view from 'Detailed transaction view' to 'Summary' and search for orders in time ranges from 'This month' to 'All time'.
Payments profile reviews
To make sure that everyone enjoys a safe purchasing environment and complies with our Terms of Service, we regularly review payments profiles. During reviews, you temporarily cannot process refunds (refunds will be 'declined').
Bear in mind that these random reviews are infrequent. Also, rest assured that you'll be able to issue refunds through your profile 24 hours after your refund attempt is first declined. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Refund policy recapBear these things in mind when considering or issuing refunds:
- After you have issued a refund, you cannot cancel it. Google returns the transaction fee to you after you refund a payment.
- We don't send emails to you or the customer for any refunds that you issue.
- If you temporarily can't issue refunds because your payments profile is under review, you need to wait 24 hours before you can refund orders.
- If you refund an order before Google has issued a merchant payout for that order, you won't receive the amount that you refunded to your customer in your next merchant payout. If you refund an order after you've received the merchant payout for it, the amount that you refund to your customer will be deducted from a future merchant payout.
- If you issue a refund and your profile balance becomes negative and remains negative for 48 hours, Google will collect funds from you in accordance with our Terms of Service and debit the bank account that your merchant payouts are normally sent to. The amount that we withdraw from your bank account will equal your negative balance as of the day on which Google initiates the debit.