Send & receive money using a phone number
You can send and receive money using a phone number. If someone sends money to your phone number, you’ll need to link it to your account if you haven’t already. After you link it, money sent to your number in the future is automatically transferred to your default payment method.
Note: SMS charges may apply.
Send money to a phone number
- Open the Google Pay Send app or go to pay.google.com
- Tap Send or request. If you're on your phone, go to step 3.
- Tap $0 and enter the amount you want to send.
- Tap Send.
- Enter your recipient's phone number.
- Confirm the amount and your payment method. You can also include a memo.
- Tap Send.
- If you made a mistake or changed your mind, you have a few seconds to tap Cancel transfer.
Receive money sent to your phone number
After the first time you accept money sent to your phone number, you can link the phone number to your Google Account. When someone sends money to your number in the future, the money is automatically sent to your default payment method.
Claim money by text (first time)
Tap the link in the text from 445-67 to claim your money.
Add a phone number
- In the Google Pay Send app, tap Menu Settings Phone number.
- Tap No linked phone number.
Remove a phone number
- Open the Google Pay Send app.
- Tap Menu Settings Phone number.
- Next to the phone number, tap Remove.
- To confirm, tap Remove.
- You can also unlink your phone number by texting "UNLINK" to 445-67.
Didn't get SMS text
If you or a person you sent money to using their phone number didn’t get the SMS text, it may be because you have short code SMS disabled.
Note: These instructions may differ slightly depending on your version of Android.
To re-enable short code SMS:
- On your Android device, open your Settings app.
- Tap Applications Application manager.
- In the top right corner, tap More Show system apps.
- Scroll down and tap Message service.
- Tap Send premium text message Ask. SMS charges may apply.
- If this doesn’t work, contact your phone service carrier.