Require a Google PIN or fingerprint
You can set up a Google PIN to make Google Pay more secure. After you set up a PIN, you can set up fingerprint scan so you don’t have to enter a PIN every time you open the app.
Protect Google Pay with the Google PIN
Setting up a Google PIN makes Google Pay more secure by asking for a code when you open the app. The code you choose is linked to your Google Account and can be used with other products (like Google Play). Whenever you open the Google Pay Send app, you’ll be asked to enter your PIN.
Because the PIN is a number only you should know, it helps make sure other people can’t get access to your Google Pay Send account. You don’t have to use the PIN, but we recommend it to help keep your Google Pay Send account secure.
What about the PIN I already set up?
If you’ve been using a PIN you’ll need to replace it with a new Google PIN. You’ll be asked to do this next time you sign in to Google Pay.
Note: Your Google PIN is not the same PIN you may have set up for phone security.
Manage your Google PIN
Turn Google Pay PIN requirement on or off
- Open the Google Pay Send app or go to pay.google.com.
- Select your device:
- On your mobile device, tap Menu Settings Security turn Require PIN on or off.
- On your computer, click Settings turn Require PIN on or off.
Change or reset your PIN
Require a fingerprint to use Google Pay Send
If your phone supports fingerprint scanning, you can set Google Pay Send to ask for your fingerprint whenever you open the app.
If you haven’t already done so:
- Create a Google PIN.
- Set up fingerprint ID on your device.
- Create a Touch ID.
- Open the Google Pay Send app.
- Tap Menu Settings Security. On your iPhone, go directly to Settings.
- Turn on Fingerprint or Touch ID. You may have to enter your PIN.
- If you no longer want to use fingerprint ID, this is also how you can turn it off.