The types of passes that we support are loyalty cards, gift cards, offers, event tickets and boarding passes.
Smart Tap makes the buying process quicker and easier for everyone:
- Customers don't have to physically carry their cards or offers, or remember to enter their phone numbers at checkout.
- Cashiers don't have to scan plastic loyalty cards or barcodes from customers' phones.
Smart Tap for redemption
During transactions in shops, customers tap their phones on an NFC-enabled point-of-sale terminal to use their loyalty account number, gift card information, offers or confirmation numbers. You can choose if they can pay and use their loyalty points, gift cards or offers in one or two taps:
- One tap: If you want to set up Smart Tap to let customers use 'one tap' on terminals, customers will send their payment data and apply their loyalty cards, gift cards and offers with just one tap of their phone on the terminal. With one tap of their phone, whenever customers buy with Google Pay, their loyalty cards, gift cards and offers are applied to their purchase.
- Two taps: If you choose to set up Smart Tap to require 'two taps' on terminals, customers will have their loyalty cards, gift cards and offers applied to their purchase with the first tap of their phone, and the second tap on the terminal will send their payment data. Merchants can set up Smart Tap to require two taps if offers will change the total transaction price and you want customers to know that before they pay.
For event tickets, boarding passes or any other passes that don't require payment to use, you can let customers send their confirmation code data to the terminal in one tap.
Push notifications to customers during purchases
Smart Tap can also be set up to push helpful notifications to customers' phones during and after transactions. You can:
- Help customers easily save their loyalty card to Google Pay. When a customer enters their phone number or scans a physical card, to apply their loyalty points etc., then taps to buy with Google Pay, you can use Smart Tap to let them save their loyalty card to Google Pay. The customer will use their digital loyalty card with Google Pay after that and won't have to remember to carry their physical card any more.
- Push offers to customers after they buy with Google Pay. Smart Tap can be used to send customers offers to use during that purchase or in the future.
- Let customers join your loyalty programme. Learn more about how to use Smart Tap to enrol new loyalty members.
Become a Smart Tap partner
As a merchant, you'll need to develop a pass that can be redeemed at a Smart Tap-capable terminal. Refer to the Smart Tap developer docs for technical details.
You'll also need to make sure that the terminals in your shops are Smart Tap-capable. If you'd like to use Smart Tap in your shops, please reach out to one of these terminal providers: