Add a payment method
You can add cards to Google Pay on the app. You can also edit or remove a card you already added.
Before you get started
If you want to use Google Pay in-stores, double-check the list of participating banks and supported services to make sure your card is supported. If your card is not yet supported, contact your bank and request support for Google Pay. Cards that are not on the list may still be added to Google Pay to use on apps or websites.
Add a card or other payment method
You can add one or multiple payment methods to Google Pay.
- Open the Google Pay app .
- If you have multiple Google Accounts in Google Pay: At the top left of the app, tap Menu , then choose the account you want to add a card to from the dropdown.
- At the bottom right, tap My Cards.
- At the bottom right, tap Add .
- Tap Add a credit or debit card.
- To add a different payment method, tap Add other payment methods and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Use the camera to capture your card info or enter it yourself.
- If you’re asked to verify your payment method, choose a verification method from the list.
- Find and enter the verification code.
Note: After you try adding a card, you might see a small temporary charge on your account from Google Pay. This charge is used to verify that your card and account are valid. It won’t affect your balance and will disappear soon after.
With eligible cards from participating banks, you'll keep getting all the security, benefits, and rewards with Google Pay as you do with your credit or debit card.
Note: You won’t be charged a fee for using Google Pay.
Important: To use your PayPal account with Google Pay in stores, please confirm that the store accepts the brand (like, MasterCard) featured on the PayPal card in the Google Pay app
Topping up your PayPal balance
When your PayPal balance runs out, money is added to your PayPal balance from a debit card or a bank account linked to your PayPal account. The default amount is $20 but you can choose another amount.
Note: If your purchase is more than your balance, a multiple of your top up amount will be added to your account.
About your PayPal PIN
Some stores and websites may ask for your PayPal in-store PIN. Your default PIN is the last four digits of your virtual card number. Change your PayPal in-store PIN.
When you need to unlock your phone to pay
You only need to wake up your phone, not unlock it, for purchases under $50.
"This card can’t be added"
If you see the error message "This card can’t be added" or have other issues adding a card, check to make sure the payment method is on the list of participating banks and supported services. If you tried to add a card that isn’t on the list, you’ll get an email when your card is supported.
If your payment method is on the list but you’re still unable to add the card, double-check that you entered the card information correctly.