Pay in stores
Important: E-money users in Japan should go to this article on how to pay in store or for transit.
You can use your phone to pay for goods or services you buy in stores with Google Pay.
Where you can use Google Pay
You can pay with Google Pay wherever you see either the contactless or Google Pay symbols. Look for them on the payment terminal screen or on the cash register at checkout.
|Google Pay symbol||Contactless symbol|
Tip: You don’t need to see the Google Pay or contactless symbol to pay with Google Pay.
Important: You’ll need to turn on NFC to pay in stores. To turn on NFC, check your phone’s settings app.
If you have added one or more payment methods to your Google Pay account, you may be able to set up contactless payments.
- Open the Google Pay app .
- At the bottom, tap Payment.
- Tap a card or payment account.
- Tap Set up in-store payments. You may need to enter the expiration date and CVC of your card.
Pay in a store
Step 1: Wake up & unlock your phone
Turn on your phone screen, and then unlock your phone. You do not need to open the Google Pay app.
Step 2: Hold the back of your phone close to the payment terminal for a few seconds
When you’re done paying, a blue check mark will appear on the screen.
If the check mark isn’t on your screen:
- Try holding your phone in a different way. Your NFC antenna could be near the top or bottom of your device.
- Hold your phone closer to the payment terminal.
- Hold your phone for a few extra seconds.
If there is a check mark but the cashier says the payment didn’t work:
- Double-check that the store accepts mobile payments.
- Contact your bank to make sure your card is working right.
Step 3: If prompted, follow the instructions on the screen
Some stores use older software that asks for a PIN or signature. If you’re asked, follow the steps on the screen.
- Debit cards: Enter the PIN you set up with your bank. This PIN is different from the PIN you use to unlock your device.
- Credit cards: For larger transactions, sign the receipt or the signature box on the screen.
Pay with a different payment method
If you don’t want to use your default payment method to buy something, you can change your default payment method or switch payment methods for specific purchases.
Was this helpful?
How can we improve it?