Set or change a default payment method
If you’re in the U.S. or U.K., you can set a default payment method for receiving money. Money sent to you will automatically transfer to your default payment method.
Note: You can only set a default payment method for receiving money after you’ve received money once using the Google Pay app.
Change in-store default payment method
To set a default payment method for in-store payments using the Google Pay app for Android, see the Android instructions of this article.
Change your default payment method for receiving money
- Sign in to Payment methods.
- On the payment method next to "Not default," click the Down arrow .
- Choose Default.
Receive money to a different payment method
Once you set a default payment method, money you receive will automatically transfer to it. If you want to receive money to a different payment method, you’ll need to change your default.
Fix problems receiving money to your default payment method
If you get an email from Google Pay about a problem with your default payment method, the money won’t be automatically transferred to your bank or debit card account.
Follow the instructions below to fix the issue.
- Outdated default payment method: Update the payment method, mark it as your default, and claim the money.
- Reached debit card transaction limit: You won’t be able to transfer more than $2,500 per day to it. You can claim the money to a bank account instead.
- Haven’t verified your identity: You might have reached the limit for the amount of money you can send or receive. Contact us to resolve the issue.
- None of these is the issue: Contact us.
Important: The money must be claimed within 14 days or money sent to you will be returned to the sender.
- Tap Menu Activity, on the Google Pay app or visit Activity on the web.
- Next to the transaction, tap or click Claim.
- Follow the instructions to claim your money. If you fixed your default payment method, money someone sends you next time will automatically transfer to your default account.