To make contactless payments with Google Pay, your phone must work with near-field communication (NFC).
If you set up Google Pay and added a card, but have trouble when you pay in stores, check these steps.
Step 1: Make sure your phone meets software standards
- Check if the software on your phone is Play Protect certified.
- If you modified your phone, make sure it meets security standards. Google Pay might not work in stores with phones that:
- Run developer versions of Android.
- Are rooted, run a custom ROM, or have modified factory software. Due to security risks, Google Pay doesn’t run on these phones.
- Are untested and haven’t been approved by Google.
- Have an unlocked bootloader.
To fix these issues, with the exception of Play Protect certification and rooted phones, reset your phone to factory settings.
Step 2: Find out if your phone has NFC
- Open Settings .
- In the “Search settings” bar, type “NFC.”
- Tap and turn on NFC.
- If you can’t find NFC, your phone can’t make contactless payments.
Step 3: Make sure Google Pay is set as the default payment app
- Open Settings .
- Tap Apps & Notifications Default apps.
- Your Default apps might be under “Advanced.”
- Tap Tap & Pay.
- Set Google Pay as the default app.
Still need help?
- If you’re previously able to make contactless payments with Google Pay but no longer can, reach out to your device manufacturer. There might have been a device software update that impacts functionality.
- If your device doesn't react when you hold it to the terminal, Google Pay might not be set up for contactless payments. Follow the steps above, add a payment method, and complete any required issuer verification.
- Try to hold your phone at the terminal for a few more seconds.
- Some transactions may require you to unlock your phone multiple times.
- While you're in a beta program, Google Pay may become unreliable or stop to work entirely on your device. If you have questions or concerns about how this beta program might impact your ability to use Google Pay, contact the device manufacturer for more information.
- Germany and Russia: Visit the Google Pay Community to browse previous discussions or post your question to get advice.
You can send feedback and report technical issues through the app.
- Open the Google Pay app .
- Tap Menu Send feedback.
We might not be able to respond to your feedback at all times, but that doesn't mean it wasn't reviewed.