You can use Google Pay to:
- Check out on Google products like Photos and Play.
- Tap and pay to make quick and easy purchases with your phone (see available countries).
- Send or receive money from friends and family (US only).
Tip: The Google Pay app won't work if your device is modified or routed.
Set up the Google Pay app
To set up the Google Pay app:
- Make sure your phone's Android version is Lollipop (5.0) or higher.
- Download Google Pay.
- Open the Google Pay app and follow the setup instructions.
- When you’re asked to, add a card.
- You may be asked to set up a screen lock on your Android device. Google Pay works with PIN, pattern, password, fingerprint, or retinae scanning screen locks. It won’t work with facial recognition or screen locks like Smart Unlock or Knock to Unlock.
- To make purchases in stores: Make sure your device meets software standards, has NFC, and NFC is turned on. Your phone must also have HCE.
- E-Money users in Japan: Your device must be Osaifu-Keitai compatible. QUICPay/iD users must have Osaifu-Keitai version 6.1.5 or higher. iD users must also have Google Pay app version 2.89 or higher.
- If you have another contactless payment app on your phone: In your phone’s Settings app, make Google Pay the default payment app.
If your Google Pay app disappeared after you open it for the first time, it may be because the app is not in your main screen. To show it again, in your device settings, change the Home Screen setting to Drawer or Show all apps.
- Add a payment method
- Pay in stores
- Send money or pay a request
- Pay on an app or website
- Check if your phone can make contactless payments
Problems setting up
If you see one of the below errors, your phone might not be supported.
- "Google Pay can’t be used"
- "Google is unable to verify your device"
- "You can no longer use Google Pay on this phone"
Make sure your phone's Android version is Lollipop (5.0) or higher. To check your Android version:
- Open your phone's Settings app .
- Near the bottom, tap System Advanced System update.
- You'll find your update status. Follow any steps on the screen.