About AdWords certification exams
- The AdWords certification exams are designed to test your knowledge of online advertising best practices and are required to become AdWords certified.
- The exams cover the basic to advanced aspects of online advertising and AdWords campaign setup, management, measurements, and optimization.
- To access the exams, which are free, you'll need to sign up for Partners.
About the exams
The AdWords certification exams test your knowledge of AdWords and Google advertising products such as Google Merchant Center. The AdWords advertising exams are designed to test your knowledge of basic and advanced advertising concepts, including the value proposition of online advertising, and AdWords campaign setup, management, and optimization.
Here are the available AdWords certification exams:
|AdWords Fundamentals||The AdWords Fundamentals exam covers basic and intermediate concepts, including the benefits of online advertising and AdWords, and best practices for managing and optimizing AdWords campaigns.|
|Search Advertising||The Search Advertising exam covers advanced concepts and best practices for creating, managing, measuring, and optimizing Search campaigns.|
|Display Advertising||The Display Advertising exam covers advanced concepts and best practices for creating, managing, measuring, and optimizing Display campaigns.|
|Mobile Advertising||The Mobile Advertising exam covers the basic and advanced concepts of mobile advertising, including ad formats, bidding and targeting, and campaign measurement and optimization.|
|Video Advertising||The Video Advertising exam covers basic and advanced concepts, including best practices for creating, managing, measuring, and optimizing video advertising campaigns across YouTube and the web.|
|Shopping Advertising||The Shopping Advertising exam covers basic and advanced concepts, including creating a Merchant Center account and product data feed, and creating and managing Shopping campaigns.|
- The Mobile Advertising exam is available in the following languages: Chinese (simplified and traditional), Dutch, English (US and UK), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese.
- The Shopping Advertising exam is available in the following languages: Chinese (simplified), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (US and UK), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.
How to become AdWords certified
To become an AdWords certified professional you'll need to pass the AdWords Fundamentals exam and one of the additional advertising exams: Search Advertising, Display Advertising, Mobile Advertising, Video Advertising, or Shopping Advertising.
How to prepare for the exams
Before taking the AdWords exams, we recommend that you have on-the-job experience using AdWords. You should be familiar with online advertising concepts and best practices, and should have experience managing different types of AdWords campaigns.
For each exam, we offer study guides that are available here, in the Partners Help Center. The study guides cover the different topics each of the exams tests on.
Here are links to the exam study guides:
- AdWords Fundamentals
- Search Advertising
- Display Advertising
- Mobile Advertising
- Video Advertising
- Shopping Advertising
Taking the exams
How to take the exams
To access the exams from your Partners account, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Partners account.
- Click Certifications to see your exam status. For example, you might see a message telling you how many exams you need to pass to get certified.
- Click See exams.
- Hover over the section of the exam that you'd like to take. Click Exam Details.
- Click Take exam to start taking the exam. Or, you can review the exam study materials linked to on this page.
When you pass an exam, it might take up to 48 hours for your exam status to appear on the exam page.
Exam passing scores and time limits
Below is the score that you need to get pass each exam and how long you have to take each. If you don't pass an exam, you'll have to wait 7 days to retake it.
|Exam||Passing score||Time limit|
|AdWords Fundamentals||80%||120 minutes|
|Search Advertising||80%||120 minutes|
|Display Advertising||80%||120 minutes|
|Mobile Advertising||80%||90 minutes|
|Video Advertising||80%||90 minutes|
|Shopping Advertising||80%||90 minutes|
Keep in mind that you won't be able to pause the timer after you start taking an exam. The exam timer will continue to count down even if your computer shuts down — so be sure that you won't be disturbed while taking the exam. If you do lose your connection, you can resume the exam where you left off when you’re connected again, but the timer will not stop during this time.
If you don't pass an exam, you can retake it in seven days. Try using the Help Center's exam study guides to increase your chances of passing.
A passing score on an exam is valid for 12 months after the exam date. To maintain your AdWords certification, you'll need to have valid passing scores on at least (1) the AdWords Fundamentals exam and (2) one of the other advertising exams (for a total of at least 2 passing exam scores at any given time).
For example, if you take and pass the AdWords Fundamentals exam in March and the Search Advertising exam in May, you'll need to retake and pass the AdWords Fundamentals exam by March of the following year and the Search Advertising exam by that May in order to maintain your AdWords certification.