About AdWords certification exams
- The Google AdWords certification exams are designed to test your knowledge of Google advertising best practices, and are required to earn an AdWords certification or advanced certification.
- The exams cover the basic and advanced aspects of online advertising and management.
- To access the exams — which are free — you'll need to sign up for Partners.
About the exams and certifications
Here are more details about each of the Partners certification exams:
- AdWords Fundamentals: This exam covers the most basic aspects of AdWords and online advertising, including account management and the value of search advertising.
- Advanced Search: This exam covers intermediate-to-advanced best practices for managing AdWords campaigns.
- Advanced Display: This exam covers intermediate-to-advanced best practices for advertising on YouTube and the Google Display Network.
- Shopping: This exam covers basic and advanced Google Shopping concepts, including Merchant Center account set up, product data feed creation, and Shopping campaign management and optimization. Note that the Shopping exam is currently available in the U.S. only.
- Video Advertising: This exam covers basic and advanced YouTube and Google Display Network concepts, including topics such as ad formats, targeting, and reporting.
How to get certified
To get certified in AdWords, you'll need to pass the AdWords Fundamentals exam and one of the following exams: Advanced Search or Advanced Display.
To get the Shopping certification, you'll need to pass the Shopping exam. To get the Video Advertising certification, you'll need to get certified in AdWords first and then pass the Video Advertising exam.
How to prepare for the exams
The study guides in the Partners Help Center can help you master the best practices covered in the exams.
Here are links to the exam study guides:
How to take the exams
To access the exams from your Partners account, follow these steps:
- Sign in to Partners at https://www.google.com/partners.
- Click Certifications to see your exam status. For example, you might see a message telling you how many exams you need to pass to get certified.
- Click See exams.
- Hover over the section of the exam that you'd like to take. Click Exam Details.
- Click Take exam to start taking the exam. Or, you can review the exam study materials linked to on this page.
When you pass an exam, it might take up to 48 hours for your exam status to appear on the exam page.
Time to complete exams
You'll have 120 minutes to complete the Fundamentals, Advanced Search, and Advanced Display exams; and 90 minutes to complete the Shopping and Video Advertising exams.
Keep in mind that you won't be able to pause the timer after you starting taking an exam. The exam timer will continue to count down even if your computer shuts down — so be sure that you won't be disturbed while taking the exam. If you do lose your connection, you can resume the exam where you left off when you’re connected again, but the timer will not stop during this time.
The score that you need to get to pass is different for each exam.
|Advanced Search Exam||80%|
|Advanced Display Exam||70%|
|Video Advertising Exam||85%|
Retaking the exams
If you don't pass an exam, you can retake it in seven days. Try using the Help Center's exam study guides to increase your chances of passing.
After you pass an exam, you'll need to take it after some time has passed. The time varies for each exam.
|Fundamentals||Every 2 years|
|Advanced Search||Every 1 year|
|Advanced Display||Every 1 year|
|Shopping||Every 1 year|
|Video Advertising||Every 1 year|