Google Ads targeting
This article will help you target Optimize experiments at Google Ads accounts, campaigns, ad groups, and keywords.In this article:
The Optimize integration with Google Ads enables you to easily target experiments and personalized experiences at Google Ads accounts, campaigns, ad groups, and keywords. This allows you to personalize your existing web pages based on specific ads that users click.
Supported campaign types
The Optimize-Google Ads integration supports search and shopping campaigns. It supports Search Network with Display select, but only the search traffic from those campaigns (display traffic is excluded). Support for additional campaign types will be added in the future.
Before you can use the Google Ads integration with Optimize, you need the following:
- A Google Ads account linked to Analytics. Learn more.
- A Google Ads account linked to Optimize. Learn more
- An Optimize container linked to Analytics. Learn more.
If you haven’t configured the Google Ads, Analytics, and Optimize steps above, read Link Optimize to Google Ads before proceeding.
When the above steps are complete, it’s time to experiment!
When to use Google Ads targeting
Google Ads targeting is useful for leveraging the campaigns, ad groups, and keywords you’ve already created. With this integration you can use Optimize to target users in discrete groups with signals that you’ve already created in Google Ads. For example, an antiques dealer with Google Ads campaigns for both high-end and low-end customers can run experiments on each landing page tailored to that specific audience.
Example: Target high-end customers
An antiques dealer with Google Ads campaigns targeting high-end customers can leverage those signals and run experiments on their premium landing page. For example, based on a hypothesis that high-end customers are more focused on authenticity and historical value than price, an antiques dealer could create an experiment on the landing page that prominently displays proof of authenticity and excludes prices.
Create an Optimize experiment targeting Google Ads
Target Google Ads in Optimize
To configure Google Ads targeting in Optimize:
- Select which level in the Google Ads tree you wish to target. You can target at the account, campaign, ad group, and keyword level.
- Based on your choice above, select the accounts, campaigns, ad groups, and keywords you wish to target.
- Click ADD.
- Click SAVE.
- Start your experiment.
Google Ads policy
Experiments targeting Google Ads must comply with all Google Ads policies, including its prohibited content, prohibited practices, restricted content, editorial, and technical policies. Learn more in the Google Ads help center.
- Redirect tests should not take users to a separate domain if the initial page is used as a Google Ads landing page.
- All URLs used in redirect tests must be added to Google Ads list of Final URLs for all ad groups that take users to the landing page that initiates the redirect test.
- Tests must not change the essential intent of your page.
Don't see a Google Ads account?
- Google Ads is linked to the same Analytics property (Linking Step 1) that's linked to Optimize (Linking Step 3).
- You have Read-only access (or higher) to Google Ads.
- Google Ads is linked to Analytics (Linking Step 1).
- Google Ads is linked to Optimize (Linking Step 3).
Don't see a Google Ads campaign?
- Optimize currently supports search and shopping campaigns. This includes Search Network with Display select, but only the search traffic from those campaigns is supported. Display traffic is excluded.
Don't see traffic to your experiments?
- Auto-tagging is enabled in Google Ads.
- Your Optimize targeting rules are configured correctly.
- Your Optimize experiment is getting active users.