Receipt scanning overview (Android)
What it is
Receipt scanning is a new opt-in feature within the Google Opinion Rewards (GOR) app for Android. It allows you to more easily upload your receipts from in-store purchases to receive additional rewards.
Users have been volunteering to upload their receipts in exchange for rewards via in-app surveys since 2016. Now it's even easier to upload your receipts via our new user interface.
Note: only a limited number of users are selected to join the program.
- Activated Opinion Rewards account.
- Accept our invitation (select users will be invited).
- Android only.
- US only.
- Location history must be enabled on your account.
How it works
Once you've been accepted into the Receipt scanning program, your Opinion Rewards home screen will include a new Receipt tasks card under My Tasks.
Upload a receipt
To add a receipt:
- Open Google Opinion Rewards app (Android).
- Tap Receipt tasks or View all (Figure 1).
- On the Receipts home screen, tap Upload receipt (Figure 2).
- Select how you’d like to upload your receipt (Figure 3).
- Get paid!
Figure 1: The Google Opinion Rewards home screen.
Figure 2: The Opinion Rewards Receipts screen.
Figure 3: Options for uploading a receipt.
Other responses to a receipt task
If a receipt task isn't relevant to you or you don’t want to upload a receipt, tap More on the task, then select one of these options:
- I didn’t visit this store
- I visited but didn’t make a purchase
- I purchased but don’t have a receipt
- Skip this task
Completing these quick surveys helps train our models and improve the experience for all users.
Figure 4: Responding to a receipt task when you don’t have a receipt.
Access and delete receipts
Managing your Opinion Rewards receipt data is easy. You can access and delete your receipts data in Google Receipt Manager at any time.
While you are enrolled in the Receipt scanning program, you can also manage your receipt data directly in the Opinion Rewards app:
Settings > Receipt Sharing > Manage Receipts in Google Receipt Manager
Being enrolled in the Receipt scanning program means that you have:
- Installed the Opinion Rewards app (Android), and
- Created an Opinion Rewards account, and
- Received and accepted an invitation to the Receipts scanning program.
You can opt out of Receipt scanning in the Opinion Rewards app (Android):
Settings > Receipt Sharing > Opt out of receipt sharing.
Figure 5: Settings page with links to delete receipts and opt out.
Frequently asked questions.
- Q. When do I get paid?
- A. You get paid when you complete the receipt task.
- Q. How much can I earn?
- A. The amount you earn will vary on the type and amount of receipt tasks you complete. This amount is subject to change at any time.
- Q. What stores do you support?
A. Shop as you normally would and we'll notify you when to add a receipt in the Opinion Rewards app.
- Q. What kind of receipts are accepted?
A. Only physical/paper receipts are accepted at this time. The receipt must clearly display the vendor name, address, line items, and total amount. Scan receipts with your phone's camera directly in the Opinion Rewards app or add receipt photos from your photo gallery.
Q. Why do I see locations I didn't visit?
A. Location technology isn't perfect, so we sometimes guess wrong. If we ask for a receipt from an incorrect retailer, simply tap More on the receipt task, then "I didn’t visit this store." Providing your feedback helps us improve Opinion Rewards.
- Q. When do receipt tasks expire?
A. All receipt tasks expire in seven (7) days.
- Q. What happens if I am outside of the United States (US)?
A. Receipt scanning is currently only supported in the US. If you are enrolled in the program and leave the US, you will no longer receive new receipt tasks while abroad. When you return, we will resume sending you tasks as they become available.
- Q. How do I turn on location history?
A. Go to Settings > Google Location History > and then tap the "Location History" slider.