Find, lock, or erase a lost Android device
If you lose an Android phone or tablet, or Wear OS watch, you can find, lock, or erase it. If you've added a Google Account to your device, Find My Device is automatically turned on.
To use Find My Device, a lost Android device must:
- Be turned on
- Be signed in to a Google Account
- Be connected to mobile data or Wi-Fi
- Be visible on Google Play
- Have Location turned on
- Have Find My Device turned on
Tip: If you've linked your phone to Google, you can find or ring it by searching for
find my phone on google.com.
- Go to android.com/find and sign in to your Google Account.
- If you have more than one phone, click the lost phone at the top of the screen.
- If your lost phone has more than one user profile, sign in with a Google Account that's on the main profile. Learn about user profiles.
- The lost phone gets a notification.
- On the map, you'll get info about where the phone is.
- The location is approximate and might not be accurate.
- If your phone can't be found, you'll see its last known location, if available.
- Pick what you want to do. If needed, first click Enable lock & erase.
- Play sound: Rings your phone at full volume for 5 minutes, even if it's set to silent or vibrate.
- Lock: Locks your phone with your PIN, pattern, or password. If you don't have a lock, you can set one. To help someone return your phone to you, you can add a message or phone number to the lock screen.
- Erase: Permanently deletes all data on your phone (but might not delete SD cards). After you erase, Find My Device won't work on the phone.
Important: If you find your phone after erasing, you'll likely need your Google Account password to use it again. Learn about device protection.
- On another Android phone or tablet, open the Find My Device app .
If the other device doesn't yet have the app, get it on Google Play.
- Sign in.
- If your own device is lost, tap Continue as [your name].
- If you're helping a friend, tap Sign in as guest and let your friend sign in.
- Follow the same steps as listed above. Continue to steps.
If you have a Wear OS watch that's connected with a lost phone or tablet, you can use your watch to find it.