See & use notifications
Notifications alert you to things like new messages, calendar events, and alarms.
Some notifications show individually. Other notifications from a single app get bundled together.
Note: Android isn't the same on all devices. These instructions are for devices running Android 7.0 and up. Check which version of Android you have.
Where to find your notifications
At the top of your screen, you'll see your status bar.
- The icons on the left show you when you have new notifications.
- The icons on the right show you the status of things like your Wi-Fi connection and battery level.
To read your notifications, swipe down from the top of your screen.
When you wake up your device, you can see your notifications on your lock screen. You can control how notifications show on your lock screen.
Some notifications briefly show on the top of your screen while you're doing something else. For example, a text message notification might appear while you're watching a video. This is called "peeking."
- To dismiss a peeking notification, swipe it right or left.
- To keep a peeking notification so that you can get to it later, swipe it up.
You can control notification peeking with "Do not disturb."
What you can do with notifications
Reply, archive, expand, search, & more
- To act directly from a notification, tap an action, like Reply or Archive.
- To expand a notification, tap the Down arrow .
Keep or dismiss notifications
- To keep a notification, swipe up.
- To clear one notification, swipe it left or right. (Some notifications can't be dismissed right away.)
- To clear all notifications, scroll to the bottom of your notifications, and then tap Clear all.
Open or change settings on the app that sent the notification
- To open the app that sent a notification, tap the notification. If your phone is locked, double tap the notification.
- To change the app's notification settings, in Android 7.0 and up, slide the notification slightly left or right and tap Settings .
How you can control notifications
Many apps let you control notifications from the settings menu within the app. You can also choose the default notification settings for your device.
Amy is an Android expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.