Insert & activate a SIM card for Nexus 7 (2013)
Applies only to Nexus 7 (2013) LTE.
To use your Nexus 7, you must first insert and activate a micro SIM card. If no card is installed, the message “No SIM card” appears on the tablet’s lock screen.
Only Nexus 7 (2013) LTE can accept a SIM card. Wi-Fi versions of the tablet can't.
Insert SIM card
- Turn your tablet off and place it on a flat surface with the screen facing up, with the camera at the top and the Power button on the right.
- Tilt the right side slightly and locate the SIM card tray near the bottom and the small hole in the tray door.
- Insert the SIM ejection tool that comes with the tablet (or a paperclip) into the hole in the tray door, and push firmly but gently until the tray pops out.
- Remove the tray and place the micro SIM card inside it, with the angle corner fitting snugly into the angled corner of the tray.
- Reposition the tray in the slot and push it gently back into the tablet.
Activate SIM card
- Open the Settings app (Devices running Android 4.3 or lower have a different Settings icon) and turn off Wi-Fi after completing the set-up instructions. Once Wi-Fi is off, you'll see a notification at the top of your screen.
- Swipe down the notification shade and touch the notification.
- Follow the activation instructions provided by your carrier.
Elena is an Android expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.