Insert & activate a SIM card for Nexus 7 (2012)
Applies only to Nexus 7 (2012) with mobile data.
To use your tablet with mobile network data, you must first insert and activate a micro SIM card. If no card is installed, the message “No SIM card” appears on the tablet’s lock screen.
Only Nexus 7 with mobile data can accept a SIM card. Wi-Fi versions of the tablet can't.
Insert SIM card
- Turn your tablet off and place it on a flat surface with the screen facing down.
- Locate the SIM card tray on the right side of your tablet, and find the hole on the tray door. Caution: Avoid the Microphone hole that is located slightly above the tray.
- Insert the tool that comes with the tablet (or a paperclip) into the hole on the tray, and push firmly but gently until the tray pops out.
- Remove the tray and place the micro SIM card inside it, with the angled corner to the left.
- Carefully reposition the tray in the slot and push it gently back into the tablet.
Activate SIM card
- Turn off Wi-Fi after completing the set-up instructions. Once Wi-Fi is off, you'll see a notification at the top of your screen.
- Swipe down the notification shade and touch the notification.
- Follow the activation instructions provided by your carrier.
Kit is an Android expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.