Use Android Beam to share content by NFC
With Android Beam turned on, you can share content directly from your device's screen to another device by bringing the devices together (usually, back to back). You can beam content including webpages, directions, videos, photos, and contacts.
To share content by beam, both devices must support "Near Field Communication" (NFC), have both NFC and Android Beam turned on, and be unlocked with their screens on.
Make sure NFC and Android Beam are on
Both NFC and Android Beam are turned on by default. To check that they're on:
- Open your device's Settings app .
- Under “Wireless & networks,” tap More.
- Check that NFC is switched on. This lets your phone exchange data when it touches another device.
- Tap Android Beam.
- Check that the On/Off switch is on.
You can also turn off NFC or Android Beam with these settings at any time.
Share content by Android Beam
Before sharing content, make sure that both devices are unlocked, have their screens on, and have NFC and Android Beam turned on. Then follow these steps:
- On your device, open the exact content that you want to share, like a map, photo, or webpage.
- Move the back of your device toward the back of the other device.
- When the devices connect, your device will make a sound or vibrate, and the image on your screen will get smaller.
- When you see the message Touch to beam, tap your screen. A notification will say "Beaming..."
- When the beam is done:
- On your device, a notification will say "Beam complete."
- On the other device, a notification will show the shared content.
When the other device needs an app
If the other device doesn't have the app needed to see the shared content, then the notification on the other device will open Google Play, where the other device can download that app.
Where to touch backs for Android Beam
With some devices, you may need to touch a specific part of your device to the other device.
- For a Nexus 7, make sure that the other device touches its back near the "u" in "Nexus."
- For the HTC One Google Play edition, place the HTC logo against the lower part of the other device.
For the exact location of your NFC antenna, see these Nexus device diagrams.
Amy is an Android expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.