Type by speaking
On your mobile device, you can speak to enter text in most places where you can enter text with a keyboard.
Note: Android isn't the same on all devices. These instructions are for devices running Android 7.0 and up. Check which version of Android you have.
To use your voice to type:
- Tap an area where you can enter text. This opens the keyboard.
- Tap where you want to type.
- On the keyboard, tap Microphone .
- When you see the microphone image, speak the words, numbers, or symbols you want to type.
- Wait for your words to be typed. The last word or symbol you said will be underlined.
- To delete what you last said, tap Backspace .
- To bring the keyboard back, tap Close .
Amy is an Android expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.