Getting into Google News: Quickstart guide
Step 1: Review general Google News index guidelines
This article outlines the general requirements for News on Google.
In general, you should write original content that’s clear and free of grammatical errors. Review other guidelines below:
- Write news about recent events. Sites in Google News primarily offer timely reporting or analysis of recent events. We generally don’t include the following types of content:
- How-to articles
- Advice columns
- Job postings
- Real estate listings
- Strictly informational content such as weather forecasts and stock data
Learn more about the different content types we include in Google News.
- Share original content. Original reporting and clear attribution are important factors for inclusion in the Google News index. Make sure you include datelines and bylines in your content. If your site publishes aggregated content, separate it from your original work, or restrict our access to aggregated articles via a robots.txt file.
- Be accountable and transparent. Users tell us they value news sites with author biographies and clearly accessible contact information, such as email and physical addresses, and phone numbers.
- Do not misrepresent yourself or your purpose. Sites included in Google News must not misrepresent, misstate, or conceal information about their ownership or primary purpose, or engage in coordinated activity to mislead users. This includes, but isn’t limited to, sites that misrepresent or conceal their country of origin or are directed at users in another country under false premises.
- Limit ads. Advertising and other paid promotional material on your pages can’t exceed your content.
Our webmaster quality guidelines contain the most common forms of prohibited behavior. Google News may also remove sites participating in other misleading practices not listed in these guidelines. Clearly attributed syndicated content is also acceptable as long as it isn’t a majority of the content on the site.
If you believe that another publisher violates Google News inclusion guidelines, file a spam report. While we may not take manual action in response to every report, spam reports are prioritized based on user impact, and in some cases may lead to complete removal of a spammy site from Google News results.
We highly encourage that you engage in the following best practices:
- Write news. Google News isn’t a marketing service. Do not share articles created primarily for promoting a product or organization, or selling or monetizing links. If your site mixes news content with other types of content, especially paid advertorials or promotional content, we recommend that you separate non-news types of content and only submit your news subdomains for inclusion. Otherwise, we may exclude your entire site from Google News.
- Make your site user-friendly. Your site should load quickly, be mobile-friendly, rarely use URL redirects, and avoid behavior intended to trick users.