Submitting a News Sitemap
You can submit your news articles via a News Sitemap created using the Sitemap protocol. Google adheres to Sitemap Protocol 0.9 as defined by sitemaps.org and Sitemaps created for Google using Sitemap Protocol 0.9 are therefore compatible with other search engines that adopt the standards of sitemaps.org.
A Google News Sitemap can help you control which content Google News crawls and can speed up the inclusion of your articles in Google News search results. You're welcome to submit your sitemap in your Webmaster Tools account prior to submitting your site for inclusion in Google News. However, only sitemaps associated with an approved site will be crawled without error by Google News.
Submitting your sitemap
- First, you'll need to add your site using a Webmaster Tools account .
- Go through the steps necessary to verify your site .
- Once verified, go to your Dashboard page. Under Optimization, click Sitemaps in the left navigation bar.
- In the Sitemaps section, click the Submit/Test a Sitemap button in the top corner of your screen.
- In the text box that pops up, complete the path to your Sitemap.
- Click Submit Sitemap.
Re-submitting Sitemaps using your robots.txt file
You can tell Google News about your Sitemap by adding the following line to your robots.txt file (updating the sample URL with the complete path to your own Sitemap):
This directive is independent of the user-agent line, so it does not matter where you place it in your file. If you have a Sitemap index file, you can include the location of just that file. You do not need to list each individual Sitemap listed in the index file.
Re-submitting Sitemaps using ping
Be sure to update your News Sitemap as you add new articles.
You can view information about your News sitemap once we've processed it, usually within 24 hours. If you have additional questions, please visit our Google News Help Forum.