Hi everyone !
Hope you are fine !
We have some problems with our presence in Top Stories : Simply put, we're never there
is never ranking in Top Stories and getting 0 traffic from Discover.
We know that this is based on the freshness of the content, the quality of the article and the authority of the site. So we thought we should wait.
But no, really, it's been several months that we do tests: we necessarily have problems.
First, let yourself introduce yourself to the site and all that is done there:
- We are a news site. We cover many news topics, sometimes on very popular keywords, sometimes less
- All our article are AMP-friendly
- Good SEO on basic article
- Sitemap-news and friendly
- We have Google news Approval for three or for year, and yes, we follow its practices
- NewsArticle for our articles, and Schema Markup...
- Nice internal linking
- No error, no warning in GSC, HTTPS and good security
- Lazy-loading, mobile friendly, speed optimizations...
- Authors are important ; Social follow, presentation, etc...
- Canonical URL and all the good things
- Nice HN structures and good use of the structure of an article
- And more
You have understood, we respect perfectly the instructions
Now, let me explain why I'm sure we have a problem. We have been testing for several months. That is to say, that we absolutely monitor all our requests.
We publish between 5 and 30 news a day. So we have the frequency and the freshness. All our articles are between 200 and 5000 words. They are quite long. Add to this all the good practices listed above.
Finally, we noticed that no matter the subject, we don't appear:
- Being first on the news
- With an article of better quality than our competitors (more words, better structure)
- On a popular search
- Or on the contrary, on a search with little competition
- Or on a breaking news
Few example :
Of course, our content is authentic. No C/C or press release relayed
We did tests on almost 2000 articles. Yes, huge.
Finally, last thing to note is that we compare these 2000 searches with other competing sites. So we could see the evolution of the results with sites that published after us or sites with less authority than ours (or have less audience).
Come on, last proof that we have a problem somewhere and that it's not related to Google selection.
> We published an article monday with lot of information about next One Piece game. We were the first in France : http://bit.ly/34hoIlB
500 words, with good structure. But, no in "Top Stories".
Two hours later, many other sites have finally published their article. So obviously, this creates a Top Stories. But no, still not.
Worse, other sites appeared when he had only 70 words (yes, really, the second on my screen) and they published after.
Note in passing: No problems with another search engine as you can see on the screen (In top!)
Do you have any clue? That's really important for us. The "hot content" is really (really) important for our website. So please, help me or give me few ideas