Submit video content
As part of Google’s mission to organize the world's information and make it accessible to our users, Google News recognizes the importance of videos and multimedia content. If you are a news site with video content, we'd like to include this content in our system.
Google News can crawl your YouTube channel and MP4 videos embedded within articles on your site. If you would like us to crawl your YouTube channel, please share the Youtube channel information with us per the directions below. You may also choose to embed YouTube videos in your articles.
If you prefer MP4 videos, check that they are embedded in your articles.
Video content guidelines
To help us offer the best user experience and maintain fairness and consistency when determining what content is included in Google News, we follow a number of guidelines for video content similar to the ones we have in place for text articles. Before submitting your YouTube channel to our team for consideration, please review our guidelines below:
- News content: Video channels included in Google News should primarily consist of content that reports on recent events. We generally don't include channels that mainly contain how-to videos, advertisements, trailers, video blogs, or music videos.
- Original & unique: All the content included in your videos, such as music, images, and text, should be your own or used with permission. Google respects copyrights and follows the DMCA guidelines for handling disputed copyrighted material.
- Accountability & context: A little bit of context for videos can be extremely useful for viewers. Make sure your channel's videos include relevant descriptions, useful titles, and basic information about your website or organization.
- Quality & consistency: Videos should be easy to understand with clear audio and images that are in focus. We're also more likely to include channels that are updated regularly.
If your video content follows the guidelines listed above, we’d be happy to review your YouTube channel for inclusion in Google News! Review the steps in the next section for submitting your content.
How to submit your YouTube channel to Google News
To allow us to crawl your YouTube channel, follow the steps below:
- Set up a YouTube channel: Go to the YouTube sign up page and create a new YouTube account. Having your own account allows you to arrange all of your video content in a single location with its own YouTube URL, such as http://www.youtube.com/MyNewsSite. If you're part of a network of sites, you may want to find out if your organization has already submitted your content for inclusion.
- Provide relevant information and links to your channel's profile information. You can also customize your channel to reflect your organization's branding.
- Upload your news videos as soon as you have them ready. In order to allow for better classification of your videos, provide a descriptive title followed by a short description of the videos. You may want to familiarize yourself with other video optimization strategies and review the resources available at the YouTube Creator Academy.
- Inform the Google News team: Once you've created a YouTube channel, let us know. Our team will review your submission and follow up with you directly. We won't crawl your videos if your website isn’t already included in Google News.
- Join the YouTube Partner Program: We encourage all Google News providers with YouTube channels to apply to the YouTube Partner Program. YouTube partners enjoy many benefits that may be worthwhile for your site.
- Remove content or inform us about an update: Once your channel's included in Google News, let us know directly if you need to remove content or update us about changes to your channel or videos.