In-app purchase ads
Google News allows publishers to serve ads that enable in-app purchases for items sold in the Google Play store. A user can purchase the advertised item via an overlay window, without needing to leave the app environment. You can traffic these ads like normal display ads, and they require a special URL parameter to enable the in-app purchase.
Configure your creatives for in-app purchases
To support in-app purchases, modify ad creatives following the steps below:
- Find the Google Play store URL of the item for which you'd like to trigger a purchase. Refer to the Available verticals section below for more information on getting URLs for each item type.
&newsstand_in_app_purchase=1to the end of the URL, and make this modified URL the target of the element in the ad that triggers the purchase flow (e.g. the Buy button). For example, an ad that triggered an in-app purchase for [Example News Edition] could use a landing page URL of:
- The ad creative must include a prominent link to the item in the Google Play store. This can be an additional button, or a click anywhere on the creative outside of the trigger for the purchase flow.
Apps and games
- Supported purchases: Both free and paid apps
- URL: Navigate to the details page of the specific app in the Google Play store and copy the URL from the address bar
- Supported purchases: Standard book purchases
- URL: Navigate to the details page of the specific book in the Google Play store and copy the URL from the address bar
- Supported purchases: Albums and single track purchases
- Albums: Navigate to the details page of the specific album in the Google Play store and copy the URL from the address bar
- Tracks: Copy the individual track URL by sharing the track, then copying the URL from the Buy button that appears on the share post.
Note: You may strip out all parameters of this URL except
- Supported purchases: All subscription types (monthly, annual, and subscriber verification), and single-issue purchases are supported
- URL: Navigate to the Details page of the specific publication or issue in the Google Play store and copy the URL from the address bar
- Supported purchases: Buy, rent, HD, and SD purchases
- URL: Navigate to the details page of the specific movie in the Google Play store and copy the URL from the address bar
- Book rentals